Information for term Spanish Language & Chilean Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 10 – Jul 7, 2018 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 8 – Aug 4, 2018 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Fast forward your Spanish in this seaside city of colorful houses and outdoor markets.
Get a taste of Chile's vibrant culture and build practical, real-world skills both in class and through learning adventures, often with local Spanish-speaking teens.
You’ll immerse yourself in all things Chilean through intensive class time and fun day trips to places like Santiago’s fashionable Lastarria district and cultural centers featuring street musicians and performance artists. Engage in Spanish conversation with shopkeepers, students, tour leaders, and peers on guided walking tours- and independently as well! Enjoy traditional Chilean foods like cazuela, charquican, or pancutras.
You’ll live with a local host family, practicing your Spanish as you prepare and share meals, shop at local markets, learn local customs, and enjoy authentic everyday life. Day by day, you’ll feel the language come easier and more naturally than ever before.
60 hours of instruction in Spanish by CIEE professors
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college.
A certificate of language learning in Spanish, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Immerse yourself in the daily traditions and culture of the friendly Chilean people.
Rainbow-colored houses, quirky architecture, and cobblestone streets give the port city of Valparaíso, Chile a distinct charm. It’s well known for its street art, diversity, bohemian spirit, and youthful energy.
Valparaíso is also known for its strong focus on education, with both private and public schools actively involved in the artistic, cultural, and social communities here. There are plenty of concerts, museums and activities to keep busy in the city itself. From here you can also easily visit lakes and volcanoes in the countryside.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"That afternoon, we visited a local market to buy handicrafts and stopped by an heladería (ice cream shoppe) to sample some all-natural ice cream using fruits grown locally (have you ever heard of eggfruit or had fig ice cream?)...."
Learn more about daily life on this program.
Carefully Screened Host Family
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Catch the wind on sailing trips in the Valparaíso Harbor.
- Bike along the beautiful shoreline of Viña del Mar, Valparaíso’s sister city.
- Join traditional dance and folk music workshops.
- Put your fancy footwork to good use in a soccer workshop with local students.
- Make authentic local specialties in a Chilean cooking workshop.
- Take a day trip to Santiago—Chile’s largest city, nestled between the snow-capped Andes and Chilean coastal mountain ranges. Visit vibrant cultural sites like Pablo Neruda's home, Cerro San Cristobal, beautiful viewpoints, and a visit to the presidential palace.
- Hit the rural beach towns of the Chilean coast for an artsy excursion. Visit Pomaire town and the coast to watch local craftsmen at work.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- At least one year of High School Spanish. For intensive language immersion, see our Alicante or Palma de Mallorca programs.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Optional College Credit Fee
$100 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2018 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 10, 2018||Jul 7, 2018||
|Summer Session II 2018 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 8, 2018||Aug 4, 2018||