A week f L Maghreb

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Andreina Santamaria

Just like that, our first week is over, and what an exciting first week it was. We are all set up and familiar with our daily schedule. The day starts at 9:00am sharp, students are in classrooms, according to their levels, and ready to go. The program leaders join the students in the early fifteen-minute warm-up session to take attendance, answer any questions or concerns, and make sure students are all comfortable and ready for their day of learning. The first session of language classes is Fusha, followed by a small break, and finally the Darija lesson. After, students go with their program leaders to do into the community conversations. Into the community conversations (or CCs) is a way in which students authentically practice what they learned by speaking to locals around the study center. At 2:00pm, we go back to the center to receive instructions about our daily cultural activity. Cultural activities can vary and always combine learning and fun. The highlights of the week were: folkloric storytelling, Henna, endless Moroccan tea and kayaking.

On Wednesday, CIEE host moms visited us for an afternoon of Moroccan tea and delicious Hluwa. Moroccan host moms took turns telling folkloric tales in their native tongues, stories that communicated traditional morals, values, heritage, rituals, and even some inside jokes. Two of the stories were recited in Darija and one was in Tamazight. While the ladies recited the tales in their native tongues, our lovely Oumaima translated them to English. Afterwards, students summarized the stories in their own words and gave them titles. This lovely activity was followed by Henna. We listened to beautiful traditional and modern Moroccan music as we got Henna done. Our students were so happy and relaxed that they spontaneously broke into dance. It was a memorable afternoon of learning, storytelling, Henna, music, and dance.

We ended the week today with a kayaking trip to Bou Regreg river and the beach. Supervised by local professional instructors, each student rowed kayaks with a friend and then stopped at the beach for period of fun under the sun. The time was full with dancing, playing with sand, and laughter. Exhausted but happy, our bus took us back to town, all ready for a calm weekend with their homestay families. See you all Monday, sharp at 9:00am ready to go on another adventure!

N shufkum mn b3d!

Your PL  Afaf

Glossary:

Fusha = Modern Standard Arabic

Darija = Moroccan Arabic dialect

Hluwa = sweets

Tamazight = Native language of Morocco

N shufkum mn b3d = See you later!