Visite du Musée des Beaux Arts

Honors French Language & Culture

Sophie Cowley

Photo for blog post Visite du Musée des Beaux Arts
Pre-visit meeting

Art is a form of comuniction that evolves and deepens over time. Today the students have experienced some art forms (from classic to modern) they have never seen before but they still found ways to find a meaning to it, to try to understand the artist perspecive and then share their findings with their peers. 

Read Katherine's experience at the musee:

"On Tuesday, we visited the Musée des Beaux Arts, an activity I was especially looking forward to due to my love of Auden’s poem entitled after the museum. With its grand staircase and rooms that progress as if in a dream, through this space one can glide through time; the museum has a marvellous collection that spans from the 14th to the 20th century, with a particular focus on Renaissance artwork and religious imagery. Out of all of the paintings, sculptures, and drawings, my friends and I were most drawn to a piece by Otero, “Isabel à la chemise blanche.” Painted in a somber color palette, it is a portrait of a person with tenebrous and intense eyes; the way in which she gazes directly at the viewer lends the piece a confrontational air. We all agreed that the precise position of her hand on her shirt suggests that she is protecting herself from someone, perhaps the painter, or perhaps even the viewer themself. Our visit to the Musée des Beaux Arts was an incredibly enriching experience, and I might even have to return before the program ends after having seen what historical and cultural insight the museum has to offer."

Discussion sur l'art

Qu'en penses-tu?
Un petit souvenir

We could compare the students' experience to the one W.H Auden shared in a poem entitlted "Aux musee des Beaux Arts" (contribution by Katherine S.R).

This piece was inspired by the poet looking at paintings in a museum gallery by the Old Masters, just like our students today.

Admiring the more modern/abstract art paintings
Another form of visual art to enjoy.
Everyone had a great time.

The visit was completed with a class debrief and sharing of what everyone learned, enjoyed more or less and interpreted.