Until We Meet Again

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Penelope de Leon

Well, that's a wrap for Session 2 Marine Biology in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. Okay so the kids left last Saturday but I couldn't bring myself to write the last post because I didn't want it to be over! Our global navigators finished the course with their class presentations showing us everything they learned during their classes and field work activities. They told us about the endangered species both in the Mediterranean and around the world. They taught us about marine protected areas and also gave us tips on how to prevent the plastics pollution problem. It was great to watch these kids share what they had learned during the three week course, but even better to see their enthusiasm after spending so much time in the field. I think our global navigators really developed a passion for the Mediterranean while here and it showed in their final presentations.

Photo for blog post Until We Meet Again
Photo for blog post Until We Meet Again

After presentations we went out for lunch with our PLs and did some last minute shopping for family and friends back home. Of course we all had to stop at the famous Ca'n Joan de s'Aigo for  ensaimadas and one last ice cream. Friday evening was spent packing and saying goodbye to host families, enjoying one last meal together.

Photo for blog post Until We Meet Again
Photo for blog post Until We Meet Again

Airport departures started early, early Saturday morning. Our group flight left at 6am, this meant a 3am start time for some of us, then they all started shuffling out throughout the day. The good-byes were bittersweet, so much anticipation to get home and tell their stories, yet sad to leave all the new friends that were made. These three weeks have been an amazing experience for not only our global navigators, but also for our PLs and staff. We have all learned together and from one another. I hope our navigators keep on exploring and never forget this experience on our lovely little island in the Med. I know I won't forget you all! Until next time...vale?!

Photo for blog post Until We Meet Again
Photo for blog post Until We Meet Again