Understanding fisheries food systems in Setúbal, Terra de Peixe

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Samantha Farquhar

Setúbal is commonly referred to as the Terra de Peixe or Land of Fish due to its deep connection with the sea and reliance on its surrounding fisheries resources. While now Setúbal is known for its Choco Frito or Fried Cuttlefish, in the 20th century the city was one of Portugal's most famous fishing communities due to its important Sardine industry. There is even a large section of the Michel Giacometti Museum of Labour dedicated to the sardine indusry in Setúbal. 

Photo for blog post Understanding fisheries food systems in Setúbal, Terra de Peixe

Image 1. A local sculpture showing a cuttlefish running away from a frying pan

Image 2. A common sign seen on restaraunts in Setúbal saying, "We have fried cuttlefish"

Students saw see the history, culture, and importance of fish all in one place--the Mercado do Livramento (Setúbal's traditional fish market). Each day, fishers bring their local catches to be sold at this market. Students were asked to go shopping and purchase items for a fish stew recipe. 

Image 3. Students looking for  fish stew recipe ingredients. 

After shopping, students had to start cooking. Led by local chef, Marcus, students diced vegtables alongside preparing the fish for the stew. Items were layered on top of each other and a broth was created by adding seawater. 

Image 4. Students preparing ingredients. 

Then finally, students were ready to eat! This experience helped students understand the importance of markets for a community as well as how entire cities can be based on fisheries for economy. 

Image 5. The fish stew students made from ingredients bought from the market