Sweet Sweet Ghana

Harriet Browne

Our journey in Ghana has been a pleasant one. In the past week we had the opportunity to enjoy two professional dance classes, visit Cape Coast Castle, and Kakum National Park.

From our instructors, we learned that dance is a form of communication and self-expression. At the beginning of the dance lesson the Global Navigators felt slightly shy,  but by the end of the session everyone was loose and felt the rhythm of the drums, bell, and shaker instruments, and couldn’t help but dance, dance, dance!

The following day we toured the city of Accra where we viewed historical and popular sites of the city. For example, we visited the memorial for Kwame Nkrumah, the first President of Ghana. We learned that he was a Ghanaian politician and revolutionary. He was the first prime minister and president of Ghana, having led it to independence from Britain in 1957. His famous independence motto was “Forward Ever, Backward Never!”

The next week took the journey to Cape Coast where we visited the Cape Coast Castle where approximately 6 million West African were captured and held before transported to the Americas. This tour was both informative and emotional for the students.

After our journey to Cape Coast Castle, we went to The Kakum National Park, which is made up of mostly undisturbed virgin rainforest, and is one of the famous national parks in Ghana.  Along the park is a canopy walkway, which is 1150 feet long and connects seven treetops providing access to the forest. While walking on the seven canopies, beautiful rain began to fall upon us. What an experience to feel the fresh forest rain!

Following our walk, we took the long journey back to Accra, when we arrived we came home to pizza to give us a taste of home.

Medase Paa

Sandra 

Kayla

Harriet