STUDENT TAKEOVER: Sunday Funday in Sóller!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Alexa Stickel

by Kernen Jarr 

On Sunday, eight of us went on the Wooden Train to Port de Sóller! We were able to sleep in longer because it was a free day! The group met up for breakfast and we walked to Plaza de España to get the train tickets. The train ride was about an hour long and it was very busy. There were tons of people. Luckily, we all got window seats to see the views of the mountains. On the train ride, some of us talked about our lives and what we do. It was really nice to learn more about each other!

Photo for blog post STUDENT TAKEOVER: Sunday Funday in Sóller!

Later on, we stopped at a view point and it was so pretty! There were these huge mountains, and in the center of the valley was a small city. It was amazing to see how a city could be hidden by the mountains. Truly breathtaking. Finally, we made it into Sóller. The group walked around the city for a little bit. There was a souvenir shop and gelato to eat. As we walked further, we saw a beautiful church! There was circular glass by the roof and it was super tall! We walked further down and saw a little market with shops. There were a ton of bracelets and other jewelry. A lot of the girls bought bracelets, earrings, and rings. (Including myself)

Then, we got super hungry and decided to go a restaurant to get paella and other typical Spanish dishes. We ordered a lot of food! We had chicken, 2 paellas, fish, and a tapa. The food was so good! There were eight of us eating and we ordered five dishes; we finished all of it!The group then split up, and some of us took the trolley to the beach.

The trolley was so nice! There were lemon trees everywhere! We made it to the beach and we set down our things. I love swimming and being in the water but for some reason I just wanted to lay out in the sun for a while first. Eventually, I got into the water. We had been to the beach a few days before, but the water was so much colder than last time! We swam for a little bit and finished off the day with gelato, of course!