Student Profile - Arleana Mweyola

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Andreina Santamaria

Hey everyone my name is Arleana Mweyola! I'm from Texas and this is my first time in Morocco! Not just that, but this is my first time in a different country other than the U.S. and it was my first time flying on a plane! Every time I tell people this, they’re always shell-shocked and tell me how huge of a step this is; although I acknowledge that I could not let this opportunity to come to Morocco slip from my grasp again. I had another opportunity to go in eighth grade about 4 years ago however I was deeply disappointed and upset that I was not able to. After learning Arabic for about 5 years, I really wanted to find a way to practice my skills and thankfully CIEE came to my school and told me about this program!

I'm in Morocco now and I absolutely love this country specifically Rabat! I really feel amazing in this country because im getting a little bit of everything here! Arabic, French, and Spanish music are three of the genres that I really like and I've been hearing all of these in this beautiful country. In addition, I can basic a practice my Arabic and also my French and Spanish which is a huge plus for me! I’ve always been just fascinated with the architecture and history of this country while studying Arabic at my school in Texas. I was a little worried at first because I had no idea about my host family so I was happy to discover how amicable and sweet they are especially my host mom! She always does things for me and my roommate without asking like doing our laundry and no matter how many times I try to help her, she always kindly refuses. I was excited my host mom spoke French so we could communicate with each other a little easier but she still teaches me Moroccan Arabic on the side which I'm seriously thankful to her for.

I am excited for what is to come here in Rabat and Morocco! We are departing to Tangier tomorrow, updates to come! 

-Arleana