Senegal Session one: Gorée Blog

Harriet Browne

My last day of my first week was life impacting. We started the morning off at our usual meeting spot and from there traveled by taxi to the boat dock. After arriving we then took a boat from Dakar, Sénégal to the beautiful island of Gorgée. The boat was filled of laughter, dancing, singing, and overall pure happiness. By far one of the most relaxing experiences of my life. We soon arrived to the island and I was in all of its beauty. After ordering some lunch we went on a short tour around the relatively small island. Our first stop was the Maison des Esclaves (house of slaves). The Maison was a house built to hold African Americans during the transatlantic slave trade. As soon as I stepped into the house I immediately felt a heavy weight on my heart. The home consist of many slaves including men over 60kg, men under 60 kg, female children, male children, and Women. There was room where the men over 60 kg would stay preparing to get sold, this room was very small and 15-20 men would be forced to stay and sleep in there. One room was for the men under 60 kg where they would be fed constantly to become strong and worth more. The women stayed separately and were worth very few. The children stayed in very small rooms, the male children weren’t worth much unlike the female children who would be sold for indescribable reasons. Our tour guide began to describe the punishment inflicted on the slaves, instantly I started seeing dire vivid images. chained with weights and thrown into the ocean, beaten, stuck into small spaces for days, and so much more. It seemed as if I was there and it became very hard for me to breathe. On the second floor was the balcony with a huge view of the ocean. As we walked outside I was overwhelmed with sadness. It seemed to be such a pretty view but was the very place so many innocent people died just because the color on their skin. I was grateful to really get a better understanding of this time period and the harsh pain many African Americans experienced both emotionally and physically. Being of African descent I was able to put myself into a former slaves place and truly emphasize and feel the heavy pain. After a very emotional but insightful experience we continued walking throughout the island. There are many vendors and beautiful art along the streets. We gathered at the beach and got an opportunity to relax and get to know each other and the island in a much deeper way. We ended our visit by the water with a cup of ataya, a very popular tea in Dakar. I was so happy and definitely became an island girl! the journey home, as we sailed away from the island I was able to really think about the impact of slavery and how many people it effected. I feel as if I at times take for granted the history of slavery and the millons who lost their lives from it. I was able to imagine myself, a 17 year old girl being sold and taken advantage of. I imagine my brother being force fed food in order to be sold as someone’s property. So many times we read it in the history books but pay no real mind. When you walk on the floor so many slaves shed blood, sweat, and tears.  When you see the very door they were chained and pushed off through to drown in the ocean. It is a whole other level of understanding and realization of the hardship our history holds. Despite the high emotions I am beyond blessed to have learned so much more about my race and history. So excited to explore more about Sénégal in the days to come!

Your Island girl,

Kasen Branch