Going Abroad 101

CIEE My Account

The CIEE Account is where your participant applied for the program and now has more pre-departure tasks to complete. We encourage you to sit down with your participant to go through each of the tasks. New tasks will appear each month, around the 15th of the month. Please visit the Pre-Departure Resource Page frequently to get helpful information you will need in order to complete these tasks. Keep in mind the deadlines (available here) required for each task. We understand some tasks, like completing the medical form with your doctor or getting a passport, can take some time, so we encourage you to start the process now.

Booking Flights:

We will be sharing information on booking flights with you via email by the end of this month! You can click here for more information.

Action Steps:

• For participants confirmed prior to March 1, an email will be sent directly from Flightfox to the participant with instructions on how to book a flight.
  • Participant should log into their CIEE Account to answer the flight questions.
  • Flights must be booked by April 1, 2019.

Know Before You Go, the HSSA Pre-Departure Orientation Course:

Our online pre-departure orientation course, Know Before You Go, is designed to help your participant connect with fellow participants and CIEE, learn key intercultural skills, prepare for the academic components of their program, and understand the logistics of their adventure. (You will get all of the essential logistical information in these newsletters so that you are able to support your participant.)

A new section of the course is released on the 15th of every month from January to May. Each monthly section should take your participant no more than two hours. The course is due on June 1st, and it is a program requirement. Please check in with your participant to make sure that they have logged into Canvas, our learning management system, finished the January section, and started on the new material for February. We are happy to provide technical assistance and answer questions about the course at hssummerabroad@ciee.org.

Language and Culture Participants 

College Credit Option (Language & Culture Programs ONLY):    Language & Culture participants are eligible to receive four college credits for their summer program for an additional $150 fee. To receive these credits, participants must complete the tasks on their CIEE Account for the College Credit Option by April 12, 2019. You can read more about college credit eligibility, requirements and how to sign up on the online resource page here.

STAMP Language assessment (Language & Culture programs only): CIEE requires all Language & Culture participants to complete a pre-program language proficiency online assessment before departure. We use the STAMP language proficiency assessment to measure our participants’ current language proficiency, placement in the correct language level for the program, and then to measure language growth at the end of the program.

Please note that the purpose of the assessment is to assess current language level (reading, writing, listening, and speaking), so participants should not study or prepare for this test in any way – all they need to do is show up for the test.

We offer both in-person (at select schools around the country) and virtual testing, if there isn’t a testing location near you. CIEE will send more information in early March with details on signing up for the STAMP assessment. For more information on the STAMP language proficiency assessment, please click here

Travel Medicine & Disease Advice:

CIEE recommends all participants visit the Centers for Disease Control and US Department of State websites to review information on travel vaccines, medicine, risks, advisories, and more for the location of participant’s program.

Please note, those traveling to Legon, Ghana as of February 5, 2019, will be required to show proof of yellow fever vaccine in order to enter the country.

Meet the Operations Team

This team of educators, travelers, and study abroad experts organize our High School Summer Abroad programs and prepare your participant for the summer of a lifetime!

Top, left to right: Peter Robbins, Denzel Coleman, Desiree Lester, Mollie Kaubrys, Julia Breul, Zoe Lewin, Anne Rothacker, Nate Dyer.
Bottom, left to right: Elena Coronado, Violet Doucette, Sonia Chop, Brooke Herda.
Not pictured: Laragh Kavanaugh and Rachel Coffin