Flamenco, Casa Milà, & Copper Painting workshop

Jacob Badin

We continued the week with our three excursions.

Jacob and Stephanie’s group attended a Flamenco class where the students were able to immerse themselves in  the Spanish culture by dancing Flamenco. With the assistance of Elena, a Sevillian dance instructor of 32 years, they learned a variety of dances and were able to fully resemble what it's like to dance Flamenco here in Spain. Flamenco is not typical for Barcelona, but it still holds strong cultural importance in all parts of the country. They were later able to ask Elena questions to better understand why this dance is so important to Spaniards and why she got interested in the profession.

Amy and Gwen’s groups went to Casa Milà today. This building is incredibly interesting as it was built for the Milà family after Gaudí had finished construction of the Batlló house. The Batlló house, situated just across Barcelona's Main Street at the time, in 1906 was an architectural marvel. This created a lot of interest and envy. So much so that the Milà family contracted Gaudí to create a building similar to the Batlló house. We were privileged to be in this house and museum, since right now there are not a lot of tourists. In fact the students were some of the first tourists to enter this building since it had closed before the COVID-19 pandemic. How incredible!!

Spencer and Alicia went to the Pueblo Español and got to visit an ancient city. In this city, everyone was able to create a beautiful trinket as various instructors gave directions in Spanish on how to paint and bend their copper pieces.