Découvrons les musées!

Cynthia Benson

Session 2 Toulousers had a choice one Friday to visit one of four museums.  They could choose to go to le Musée de la Résistance, which is a museum focused on the French Resistance during WWII.  They could go to le Musée des Abbatoirs to experience modern art and enjoy a coffee at their little café.  They could go to le Musée de Vieux Toulouse, which is in the heart of the oldest part of the city and tells the history of the city of Toulouse.  Their last choice was to go to le Musée des Augustins, a museum that features sculptures, art, and epitaphs from antiquity to the early 20th century.  The highlight of le Musée de la Résistance was the knowledgable guide, who was able to answer all their questions and provided interesting facts.  Sofia, Simone, Isabel, and Kayli took a chance at le Musée de Vieux Toulouse and asked their guide where a staircase led.  The guide then opened up the restricted area and led them to the top of the museum where they had a breathtaking view of the city of Toulouse.  Students that went to le Musée des Abbatoirs were intrigued and sometimes confused by the art at the museum but they loved being all together, laughing, enjoying art, and finding each other at the café afterwards to talk about their experience.  The students that went to le Musée des Augustins discovered "un havre de paix" in the courtyard of the museum.  The architecture of the museum is breathtaking and reminds visitors of another time.  It's a converted convent that features a courtyard filled with flowers, vegetable and fruit plants, alongside some trees and bushes.  Students were given time to explore and discover their favorite piece of art then they got back together and created their own guided tour.  Favorite pieces of art included sculptures that Olivia, Victoria, and Helena remarked represented female beauty in a real, soft, and honest way.  Other favorites included a book containing a song for St. Augustin that Mari is going to try playing when she's home, and a painting Rocio enjoyed featuring the branches of the government of Toulouse represented by women.  At the end of the day, everyone discovered a unique part of Toulouse to be explored further as they wish.