Conservation 101: Water and Soil Management

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Marisa Deku

From the last post we thought the "Amazing Race" was in store for the afternoon.  Little did we know our lunch would be full of entertainment tucked away in a backyard of a local neighborhood.  We were entertained with local dance, dined on scrumptious, local food, then tried our luck in some local games.  From there the students enjoyed seeing the city while learning some history of Botswana in the "Amazing Race Gaborone." The last two days we have started our mornings with lectures then straight to the lab examining soil and testing water. Soil and water are at the base of understanding conservation and environmental awareness in Botswana.  We visited a suburb to see how the land is used in this arid environment and went to the Gaborone Dam to experience first hand how the water is collected, treated and stored.  We also had an afternoon at a highschool to interact with students and do some community service.  This weekend the students will be taking adventures with their host families.  Stay tuned for a post from them sharing their stories next week.