CIEE World Government Alumni Launch Foreign Policy Website

CIEE alumni who studied on the World Government CIEE Global Navigator Summer Study Abroad program in Brussels, Belgium, decided to create a forum for teen voices online to discuss foreign and governement policies once they returned home. Fourteen students from across the U.S. were inspired to collaborate on the launch of GetReady, a new foreign policy website run entirely by teens for teens. The mediated blog highlights bipartisan articles, links to local voting registrars, and opinions on foreign policy issues. GetReady spotlights the often ignored young adults who will be living with the policy decisions of today.

The website is run by teenagers who were brought together by their CIEE study abroad program in the summer of 2019. During the program, students met with representatives from the European Union, United Nations, and numerous international nonprofits, and saw a lack of young adults’ voices in foreign policy and decided to take action. They created GetReady when they returned home from Belgium and envision it as a safe space for teenagers to share perspectives and adopt a deeper understanding of the policies of today. 

Outreach coordinator for the site, Maayan B. and her fellow program alumni have been working on the project since July. She shares: "Having the opportunity to work with such intelligent students from all across the US has been enlightening, challenging, and motivating. I am relieved that the day has come to release the website, although extremely nervous now that the real challenge has come, maintaining the website and keeping the traction."

The students feel strongly that they will live with the policy decisions of today so they want to start sharing different perspectives on issues including economic globalization, climate change, immigration, and human rights to advance their interests in government and international relations. You can read more about their adventures and inspiration on the Brussels World Governement blog

How did your summer abroad with CIEE inspire you at home? Tell us about it!