Bem-vindo a Setúbal

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Adele Colwell

The Session one Aquatic Ecosystem and Sustainability cohort has arrived in Portugal! After arriving in Lisbon, the group traveled to Setúbal, our new home base for the coming weeks. After a hearty dinner of traditional Setúbal 'choco frito' or fried cuttlefish in English, and a good night's rest the group was ready to start their adventure. 

Photo for blog post Bem-vindo a Setúbal
Students get to know each other soon after arriving in Setúbal.

The next morning we went to check out our classroom at Casa de Baía, it's ocean theme is perfect for the student's studies ahead. After an orientation of the schedule and program, we did some ice breaker and team-building games. 

Photo for blog post Bem-vindo a Setúbal

Students during orientation in Casa de Baía classroom.

Photo for blog post Bem-vindo a Setúbal

Students playing the 'human knot' icebreaker game.

In the afternoon we took a walking tour of Setúbal and got to learn about the rich history of the small fishing town. It was wonderful to get a better feel for the area and learn about the culture. 

Photo for blog post Bem-vindo a Setúbal

A picture in front of the Harbor at Setúbal with the dolphin statue the students affectionately call dois, or two in Portuguese. 

After the tour, we got our first functional Portuguese lesson. The students learned some basic and important words to help them navigate the town and feel more comfortable. Our instructors were wonderful and we even got to learn by the beach! 

Photo for blog post Bem-vindo a Setúbal

The students learning Portuguese in front of the Harbor. 

The next day we had our first day of course content and it was great to meet our kind and knowledgeable instructors. We learned about Ecosystem Services as well as the UN's goals for sustainable development, both pillars of Aquatic Ecosystems and Sustainability. 

Photo for blog post Bem-vindo a Setúbal

Students reviewing the UN's sustainability goals.

After class, the students were divided into groups to do a photo scavenger hunt within the town! The students did amazing at navigating the streets to find famous landmarks (with program leaders not far behind snapping pictures). We ended the day with a traditional Portuguese dish arroz de marisco. 

Photo for blog post Bem-vindo a Setúbal

Students enjoying getting to know the town on the scavenger hunt.

Overall the students are adjusting well to the new area and it's exciting to see them learning and exploring the culture and content.