“Art is an experience, not an object.”

Danielle Mason

Danielle Mason

We started off the week with a walking tour of the center of Madrid. Ani shared with us many stories behind the buildings, streets and monuments in the historic part of the city.

El Botin, the oldest restaurant in the world

After the tour, the students had their last functional language class. To wrap up the course, they went to Plaza Santa for “aperitivos”  and Spanish conversation with their teacher.

In the afternoon we had a picnic and then explored the neighborhood of Chueca a bit before meeting with the photography teacher. During this second class the students shared with Nerea pictures they had taken throughout the week and then we visited an exhibit of Berenice Abbot’s photographs.

On Tuesday we went to the Sorolla Museum, an impressive collection of over a thousand pieces that are displayed in the home where Joaquín Sorolla lived with his family. We got to speak with a member of the restoration department about how they go about preserving the home, gardens, furniture and paintings.

After the museum visit, we went to CIEE for a drawing class with Ani. She explained things like focal points, perspectives and different techniques for using the drawing materials. Then the students used what they had learned to draw a scene of Madrid.

During our second ceramics class we continued working on pieces from last week as well as started new ones. Our latest project is an arabic style tile using a resist technique with pine resin.