Boston to Barcelona

High School Abroad in Spain

Madison P.

One week ago was the start of Boston oreintation. My parents and I drove the 12 hour ride to Boston on Saturday. We did a mini vacation, so we did all the touristy things. I would recommend anyone going to Boston to take a couple extra days to check it out. We did the Freedom Trial, college tours and many fantastic meals. 

On Wednesday morning my parents dropped me off at oreintation. It was a hard goodbye, but I did not have much time to think about it because we jumped right into oreintation. It was good to meet everyone and share the excitement and nervousness together. The oreintation was helpful because the staff knew what they were talking about, and there was a former exchange student who provided answers to our questions. We went to Cambridge for dinner and got to know each other a little more. I think it is interesting how everyone could relate to each other besides the foreign exchange program. 

On Thursday we were on our way to Spain. We went to Philadelphia first then a straight flight to Barcelona. We stayed in a hostel called Pere Terres Youth Hostel in the city where we met other students from Germany, Finland, France and the Czech Republic. The time change was difficult, but we all were suprisingly ready to see the city. Friday was a relaxed day with a small bus tour to a picturesque view of the city. We had our oreintation and more sightseeing on Saturday, and we stopped at all the well-known spots of the city. My favorite was the Park Güell. We said our goodbyes on Sunday, and we headed to our host families by trains. The train ride was beautiful because it was right on the coast.

More to come soon about my host family and my town.