How to Get Started
Preparing to Study Abroad
Planning for a gap year is important. While our staff is here to answer any questions you might have, here are some things to consider as you near the end of high school.
- Decide what you want out of a gap year. It helps to define a goal: do you want to learn a new language? Engage in community service? See the world?
- Discuss your thoughts/plans/interests with your parents
- Ask your school counselor about gap year opportunities
- Determine a budget
- Research gap year options
- Determine the logistics and deadlines for applying and going on a gap year
Submit college applications
Submit applications to gap year organizations
Receive acceptance letters from colleges
March–end of April
Check colleges’ gap year policies
Discuss deferral options with colleges
By May 1
Send a deposit to your chosen college
Make a formal written request for deferment AFTER accepting admission to your chosen college
CIEE is accredited by the Gap Year Association. It has demonstrated excellence in the field of gap year education having passed all required standards which are approved by the US Department of Justice.