Information for term Spanish Language Immersion for Art Lovers
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineSeptember 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: September 1, 2020
- Dates: Nov 9 – Dec 19, 2020 (6 weeks)
Application DeadlineDecember 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: December 1, 2020
- Dates: Feb 13 – Mar 27, 2021 (6 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Core components of this program are subject to change in Fall 2020, in order to accommodate any new health and security requirements, due to COVID-19. View the details.
Live and learn in one of Europe’s most exciting cultural destination
Known as one of the most open-minded and culturally rich cities on the continent, Madrid offers a welcoming environment for international students. You’ll meet people from all over and have plenty of time to practice your Spanish skills out on the town.
This program was designed for the art lover in you, combining language learning with visits to art shows, major museums or guest lectures and workshops. Madrid is a unique destination for all things art and architecture. Experience the best the city has to offer first-hand through exciting tours, workshops and exposure to those who influence the local art scene!
Most mornings will be spent in intensive, interactive Spanish classes at the Tandem Language Institute. Outside the classroom, there’s plenty to see and do. Walk to open air markets and world-class museums. Tour medieval mansions and royal palaces. Hang out with friends in the city’s many parks and cafés.
CIEE Gap Year Abroad programs are focused on supporting participants in acquiring knowledge and developing skills to live in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world. In addition to developing your language skills and gaining a better understanding of the local culture, you will take part in our Global Competence Course. This online course will allow you to connect and collaborate in real-time with our entire cohort of Gap participants worldwide, through interactive workshops and discussions. Reflect on your own cultural biases, share insights about your experience and learn about topics ranging from cultural identity and leadership styles to how to work and live sustainably or develop communication skills.
During your gap experience, you’ll stay with a welcoming Spanish homestay in Madrid. Together you’ll shop at local markets, prepare and share meals, and practice your Spanish while learning local customs and living typical everyday family life. On weekends and evenings participants will spend time exploring different neighborhoods, meeting up with friends, taking a day trip to explore a nearby town or nature reserve. Make the most of this amazing opportunity!
15-20 hours per week of Spanish language learning designed to improve real world language skills
Build a strong foundation in the core components of intercultural learning. Come home with an improved sense of self and awareness of what shapes others
Earn a Certificate of Learning in Spanish
of alumni said their language skills improved96%
said they learned to interact with different cultural backgrounds94%
said their level of independence increased89%
Location & CultureClick to Open
Relax in lush public gardens, and view royal palaces and world-class art.
What will you find in Madrid? The largest royal palace in Western Europe. Botanical gardens with more than 5,000 species of live plants. Two of the best soccer clubs in the world.
Contemporary spaces hosting the latest avant-garde theatre shows and exhibitions. Art galleries showcasing the best international artists today. The Paseo del Arte (Art Walk), featuring more than a dozen stunning landmarks, including the world-class Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza and Reina Sofía museums – all with their share of priceless masterpieces.
Interested in history? Discover the striking 17th and 18th century Baroque style in the city’s many churches. Visit the Temple of Debod, a second-century Egyptian temple donated to Spain during the construction of the great Aswan Dam. Need a rest? Relax in the beautiful Retiro Park gardens, just one of the city’s many vast and well-manicured public greens. Feel like getting out of the city? There’s hiking and skiing in the mountains just 45 minutes away.
Home to 3.2 million people, Madrid is a vibrant center of what many say is Europe’s most passionate country. A wide variety of adventures await.
Daily LifeClick to Open
A successful Gap experience achieves the right balance between structured language instruction, practice in the community and cultural activties to be fully immersed in the local culture.
Here's how a typical week goes on a CIEE Gap Language & Culture program:
- 15-20 hours of interactive language learning at a language school
- 1 hour of the CIEE Global Competence Course (online with our global gap community)
- 2 cultural activities
- Free time to explore and have fun!
Weekends are for group excursions (two per 6-week block) or personal travel and exploration.
*If Covid-19 homestay requirements cannot be met participants will be placed in a CIEE-vetted dormitory or apartment. Confirmation will be communicated to participants in advance." Local CIEE Center staff available 24/7.
Local CIEE Center staff available 24/7
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a guided tour of the Museo Nacional del Prado, Spain’s national art museum, located in central Madrid. It features one of the world's finest collections of European art, dating from the 12th century to the early 20th, including works by Spanish masters Velázquez and Goya.
- Visit the Palacio Real de Madrid (Royal Palace of Madrid) to learn about the rich history of the Spanish royal family. With nearly 1.5 million square feet of floor space, it is the largest royal palace in Europe and hangs rare paintings by artists such as Caravaggio, Velázquez and Francisco de Goya.
- Head outside for a scenic hike amid the panoramic views of the Sierra mountain ranges.
- lex your muscles in some of Madrid´s trendy multicultural districts, such as Malasaña or Lavapies, with an urban art tour .
- Shoot some memorable scenes on a photography workshop or a bike tour of Madrid Rio park.
Sample Day Trips
- Journey up a steep river gorge to Toledo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site once known as the “city of three cultures” – a place where Christians, Muslims, and Jews coexisted in peace. Visit the Jewish quarter and Alcázar and get a rare glimpse of distinct and diverse architecture – a mosque, synagogue, Gothic cathedral, and monastery – all in one setting.
- In Segovia, you’ll visit an ancient Roman city, touring the aqueduct, a fairytale-style castle, and Romanesque churches in the Old Town.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Eligibility & FeesClick to Open
Eligibility & Fees
- High school graduates in good academic standing.
- Students must demonstrate, through the application and interview process, flexibility and maturity.
- Students must be 17 years or older at the time of their departure.
- No previous language experience required.
Apply for one or two 6-week blocks. Combining blocks in two different locations is not yet available.
Program fee includes iNext travel insurance. Full inclusions are found online.
Want to boost your language skills before going? Add a block 1 online course for just $150.
|Fall Block III 2020 6 weeks||Sep 1, 2020||Nov 9, 2020||Dec 19, 2020||
|Spring Block II 2021 6 weeks||Dec 1, 2020||Feb 13, 2021||Mar 27, 2021|
Enroll for two in-country 6-week blocks and save 15% ($8,245 total)!