My eLab London journey by Dotun Awani

eLab Participant

eLab Participant

It’s hard to believe that, not so long ago, I was working for Uber London as a sales and operations analyst.  In just six short weeks, my career path has been transformed, thanks to eLab and I’d like to tell you a little bit about my journey.

My name is Dotun Awani and I’m a dual Nigerian / British citizen.  So far in my career, I’ve spent time as a property developer and analyst and, I was privileged to be able to help tackle the shortage of good quality homes in Lagos, thus making a very real and lasting contribution to the lasting landscape of that incredibly beautiful place. Although I’ve learned a great deal from all of my work experience, I’ve always dreamed of setting up my own business in order to gain a decent work life balance at the same time as working to help others.  I came up with the idea for Professionals.io which is an on-demand advisory web and mobile marketplace offering a micro-consulting options for UK based students, SMEs and professionals but, realised that I needed a little help - this is where eLab came in.

I heard about eLab through an online search and realised that this was exactly what I was looking for.    The website stated that eLab was now providing graduates and aspiring entrepreneurs with a unique opportunity to acquire superior knowledge and more importantly understanding of the ever challenging entrepreneurship ecosystem, which was right up my street.  I was particularly excited by the organisation’s unique qualified leaders who were ready to share their wealth of knowledge and the chance to connect with like minded entrepreneurs.  London is an amazing place to launch a startup and I love being able to take advantage of everything the city has to offer - although I spend a lot of time on Skype as my co-founded is in Liverpool and, my development team are currently based in India.

My time with eLab London was everything I hoped for - and more.  It was amazing to be able to start building a network almost from the very first day as well as soaking up knowledge and advice from the excellent teachers and mentors.  Inspirational speakers and visits to successful start ups made the entire experience motivational as well as useful in a practical sense.

For anybody who is serious about going into business for themselves, I can’t recommend eLab enough.  I gained skills, knowledge, experience and networking opportunities that it simply would not be possible to find elsewhere.