This two-week Yoga program offers students an in-depth look at yoga and its influence in Indian society. During visits to yoga institutes in Hyderabad and Coimbatore, participants will learn both traditional and modern yoga styles and discover how yoga is being used to treat common health issues. Students will visit, volunteer with, and gain an understanding of NGOs in India - like The Akshaya Patra in Hyderabad - which works with the state government to provide mid-day meals to children at public schools - or Kriti, an organization that works to empower women by helping them find livelihoods, educate themselves and their children and improve the overall well-being of their families.
Hyderabad, known as the City of Pearls, is the fourth-largest cosmopolitan city in India and is at the heart of India’s rapidly developing global economy. The city, once ruled by bejeweled Nizams from opulent palaces, is now a global hub for biotechnology, animation industry, information technology, and a travel destination for those looking to absorb its unique architecture and art. The city is an urban mix of construction, music, clothing shops, food bazaars, department stores, global businesses, and city sprawl. It is the capital of the southern state of Telangana and embodies the juxtapositions of old and new, north and south, Hindu and Muslim. It’s home to offices for Microsoft, Google, and other techno giants – and also to ruins of the magnificent 13th-century Golconda Fort and iconic Charminar monument in the Old City.
Lectures & Site Visits
This program includes two guest lectures on yoga and the role of NGOs in India.
Every CIEE Faculty-Led & Custom program is a unique combination of high-quality academics and co-curricular activities and excursions that offer real-world experiences to enhance classroom learning. Here are just a few of the possibilities for co-curricular activities and excursions in Hyderabad:
- Tour of Shilparamam to interact with artisans from different parts of India.
- Guided city tour: including transportation to Charminar, Mecca Masjid, Laad Bazaar, Qutub Shahi Tombs and the Golconda Fort from the Qutub Shahi Dynasty as well as the Chowmohalla Palace from the Asaf Jahi Dynasty.
- Visit to Yoga Institute and discussion with Gandhi Gyan Mandir Yoga Kendra
- Practice and hands on learning at yoga studios: Anahata Yoga or Bodhi Yoga or Art of Living.
- Henna workshop: As participants get henna tattoos on their hands, they will learn about this centuries old, plant-based adornment used for ceremonial purposes.
- Day trip to Deccan Trails, Hyderabad – an adventure resort for team-building activities such as rock climbing, crossing a Burma bridge, and more.
- Overnight excursion to Coimbatore: A four-day, four-night excursion for a yoga program at the Isha Foundation. Students will come to understand why striving to transform oneself into a higher possibility is considered the most sacred pursuit. The excursion includes program fees, accommodations, three group lunches, three group dinners, and transportation while in Coimbatore.
Every program is tailored to suit the needs of your academic goals – so every program is unique. But all programs include on-site orientation, 24/7 emergency support, in-country transportation, accommodations, some meals, classroom space, cultural and theme-related site visits, guest lectures, comprehensive insurance coverage and logistical support from our on-site CIEE staff. We also supply customized advertising materials and other valuable tools to help you get the word out to students.
Triple occupancy hostels for students with breakfast and linens included. Single occupancy hostels for faculty with breakfast and linens included.
Daily breakfast, welcome dinner, farewell dinner, five group lunches, three group dinners.
Please contact us for pricing.
These "ready-to-run" programs are based on a duration of 2 weeks with a minimum 15 students, but we can customize to meet your specific needs.
Our No. 1 priority is keeping you and your students safe. With more than 70 years of experience creating safe, reliable, study abroad programs around the world, we have an excellent safety record. Each of our sites is regularly assessed using international risk management standards to make certain our programs can be safely and successfully run. In addition, your program includes the peace of mind of iNext medical insurance, the support of the CIEE staff members who are experts in international safety and security, and 24/7 emergency support in-country.