Information for term Intensive Chinese Language + Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Extended DeadlineMay 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Tentative Dates: Aug 23 – Nov 27, 2020 (14 weeks)*
- Credit: 16 semester hours / 24 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.75 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Spend the semester in Taipei immersed in language learning and exploring the rich traditions of a city where multiple cultures fuse into an exciting blend. Students at all skill levels can learn Mandarin using traditional characters and the latest teaching methods. Take courses taught in Chinese or English – at CIEE Taipei and our partner school, National Chengchi University (NCCU). Students can also make strides in language learning by practicing with local peers and volunteering in the community. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
Get the most from your time in Taiwan
with the help of Taiwanese student ambassadors.
Gain the upper hand
on the Chinese language with small, intensive classes to study traditional characters and standard Mandarin.
Keep an eye on the future
by building your resume with an internship or independent research.
colleges and universities24
of all Taiwan’s citizens live in the Taipei metro area1/3
floors in Taipei 101, the world’s tallest green building101
Location & CultureClick to Open
Taipei’s temptations include the modern – like Taipei 101, one of the world’s tallest buildings – and the ancient – like Bao’an Temple and jade treasures at the National Palace Museum. Though not a top stop for tourists, Taipei is the vibrant political, economic, and cultural center of Taiwan, officially the Republic of China. Night markets brim with a kaleidoscope of tastes, and hot springs create an escape from the bustle. The city is also known for its music, film, and television, which reverberate throughout East Asia.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Explore city treasures like the Palace Museum, where the vast Chinese art collection stretches back dynasty over dynasty.
- Visit tea plantations, porcelain workshops, and temples.
- Meet with many locals and expatriates, including journalists, diplomats, business leaders and educators, to get feel for working life here.
- Jump into university life by joining a student club or sports team.
- Try on the local culture by joining into birthday celebration rituals for Confucius(fall), or the one-week Crazy Mazu festival in the spring.
- Volunteering. Taiwanese culture supports a unique bounty of nonprofit and non-governmental organizations supporting an array of causes – education, cultural improvement, marginalized people and immigrants, better housing, gender equality, and more. We’ll help you find a match!
- Internships. Gain experience with hands-on work in a professional setting, at a range of Taiwanese and international enterprises.
- Target Language Meals. Gather with language teachers, local students, and CIEE staff members to practice your Chinese skills in a relaxed setting.
- Peer support. Connect with Cultural Ambassadors - Taipei university students that share tips on language and culture – and often become long-lasting friends
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
Campus Dorms: Men and women’s dorms are on the NCCU campus, about a 5 minute walk from CIEE. Dorms include 24-hour security and laundry facilities, with bathrooms and study lounges on each floor. Internet access provided.
Academic-year Student Housing: Housing between fall and spring semesters is not covered by the fee, and students must find and pay for accommodations during this break. CIEE staff can help identify options.
Campus Dorms: Students are responsible for meals. There are options on campus and in the neighborhood.
Where You'll Study
NATIONAL CHENGCHI UNIVERSITY
NCU is eight miles from downtown Taipei.
Near NCU campus.
What People are Saying
"It's so hard to choose so I'm going to cheat a little!My most memorable experience during this program was during our last excursion. My roommate and I were at fulong beach. We just stood in the water, admiring the view and reflecting on all our experiences during our time abroad. We spoke about our growth, what we learned and this made us realize how much we had gone through and the fun memories we had."Tiffany, Hunter College,Fall 16
"It was definitely a great experience, and it made transitioning and adjusting here a lot easier. You can have a lot of contact with people in this program and outside of it, and those two things together made it a great exerience."Sarah, The University of Texas at Austin, Fall
Like what you're seeing so far?
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
CIEE Taipei provides students, at all skill levels, the unique opportunity to learn Mandarin using traditional characters and the latest teaching methods. Taiwan is the only location in the Chinese world to still use the traditional characters. In addition, students take the CIEE Chinese Language Practicum and an elective taught in Chinese or English. Students with near-native proficiency in Mandarin may exceed the most advanced language courses offered on this program. These students should consider our Communications, Business, and Political Economy program, also at this location, which allows CIEE students to directly enroll at the university.
National Chengchi University (NCCU) was established in 1927 and is one of Taiwan’s top educational institutions, renowned for its social sciences and liberal arts colleges. Its business school is highly ranked and accredited by both AACSB and EQUIS and is one of the best in Asia. Its communications school offers darkrooms, a digital reporting and editing lab, a radio and TV production center, and a computer animation studio. NCCU hosts 9,000 undergraduates and is located just eight miles from Taipei. The green riverside campus sits at the foot of a mountain and the neighborhood caters to university students, with many restaurants and cafés.
CIEE Taipei is conveniently located near the NCCU campus. Chinese language courses are taught by teaching professionals from the Chinese Language Center at NCCU, in coordination with the CIEE Taipei director, who served as an adjunct faculty member and graduate student advisor. English language electives are taught by faculty from NCCU.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.75.
CoursesClick to Open
Total credit: 16 U.S. semester/24 quarter credits
- CIEE required course: 1 U.S. semester/1.5 quarter credits; 15 contact hours
- CIEE elective courses: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours
- Chinese language courses: 12 U.S. semester/18 quarter credits; 180 contact hours
Language of Instruction
English and Chinese
- 1 Chinese language course
- CIEE Chinese practicum
- 1 CIEE elective course
- Students will be placed in the appropriate language level onsite.
- The CIEE Internship and CIEE Directed Independent Research courses require pre-approval from the CIEE Taipei Center Director and the home institution advisor prior to the start of the semester.
Fall 2020 CIEE CoursesClick to Open
Communication, Journalism, and Media
Languages and Cultural Studies
Host Institution CoursesClick to Open
NATIONAL CHENGCHI UNIVERSITY (NCCU) CHINESE LANGUAGE COURSES
Below are the Chinese language courses offered by the NCCU Chinese Language Center. A description of the Chinese language courses can be found on the NCCU Chinese Language Center website.
- Chinese Language – Basic Level I
- Chinese Language – Basic Level II
- Chinese Language – Basic Level III
- Chinese Language – Intermediate Level I
- Chinese Language – Intermediate Level II
- Chinese Language – Intermediate Level III
- Chinese Language – High Intermediate Level I
- Chinese Language – High Intermediate Level II
- Chinese Language – High Intermediate Level III
- Chinese Language – High Intermediate Level IV
- Chinese Language – Advanced I
- Chinese Language – Advanced II
- Chinese Language – Advanced III
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Wollitzer Merit Scholarships in Area or Comparative Studies
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- Stohl International Undergraduate Research Scholarships
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
- MSI Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Taiwanese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
Fees & Housing
|Fall 2020 14 weeks||May 1, 2020||Aug 23, 2020*||Nov 27, 2020*||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $15,433 **
Housing = $2,050
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $17,950
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $1,500 †
International Airfare = $1,300 ††
Local Transportation = $250
Books & Supplies = $250
Visa Fees = $160
Personal expenses = $2,150Total Estimated Costs = $5,610
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
† This estimate is strictly based upon eating on-campus and at small, local eateries; students that expect to be eating Western-style food or more formal meals should budget $300-$500 more per semester.
†† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
*Dates for this program are provided as tentative dates. Please consult with your study abroad advisor to confirm dates before purchasing your flights.
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.