Information for term Summer Internship
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2019
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Tentative Dates: May 21 – Jul 16, 2019 (8 weeks)*
- Credit: 6 semester hours / 9 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Spend the summer in a vibrant seaside city working with local and international businesses, contributing to some of Spain’s most successful organizations. Through coursework, language training, homestays, company visits, and an internship, you’ll increase your understanding of the international working environment while improving your Spanish communication skills.
with a startup, local business, international organization, or NGO.
Live with a Spanish family
and immerse yourself in local culture.
Hear from a variety of guest speakers
with different areas of expertise.
Camp Nou seats, the largest football stadium in Europe99,354
visitors per year8.2M
Location & CultureClick to Open
The capital of Catalonia, a region in northeastern Spain with its own history, culture, and language, Barcelona is nestled between mountains and the Mediterranean Sea. Its idyllic location is just one of the things that attracts millions of visitors each year. Walk through the city and observe 2,000 years of architectural history - from Roman remains to a network of narrow streets in the Old Town – and how they contrast to the ultramodern showpieces that continue to redesign its skyline.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Visit business sites, art and history museums, and monuments.
- Go on guided tours of the historical district.
- Enjoy gastronomy-based activities such as eating chocolate con churros or tapas with local friends, or a cooking session.
- Indulge your adventurous side with a hike in the mountains.
- Take day and overnight trips to places like the Dalí Museum in Figueres or the Roman ruins in the city of Tarragona, among others.
- Volunteering. Although there are no formal community service activities on this program, volunteer opportunities can be arranged by CIEE staff.
- Internship. A for-credit internship is at the core of this program. Based on your experience, interests, and current studies, you’ll be placed with a startup, local business, international organization, or NGOs, where you’ll spend 100 hours interning, gaining hands-on professional experience and practicing your Spanish language skills.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: Students live in Spanish homestays, either alone or with another CIEE student (in individual rooms). Students in homestays will have their laundry done for them once a week.
Residence Halls: Students can also live in a student residencia with other Spanish and international students in individual rooms or in a shared apartment (typically in double rooms). Students share laundry facilities and kitchens.
Homestay: Breakfast and dinner will be provided at home. Kitchen space is available to students should they wish to make lunch to bring to campus.
Residence hall and apartments: Meals are not included.
Where You'll Study
Just minutes by public transportation from homestays, shared apartments, and the residence hall.
Students can take the metro to get from their homestays, shared apartments or residence halls to CIEE.
Students can take the metro to get from their homestays or residence halls to CIEE.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
What you need to knowThe program details
CIEE Barcelona is located in two adjoining historic buildings on Passatge Permanyer, near Passeig de Gràcia and Plaza Catalunya, Barcelona’s main square. This historic passageway provides a quiet haven in the city center and houses CIEE classrooms, a computer lab, and student lounges.
Students with 0-4 semesters of Spanish take their internship seminar and placement in English. Students with 5 or more semesters of Spanish may chose a placement in Spanish.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- Total credit: 6 semester/9 quarter hours
Students are required to take:
- An internship seminar, which meets on a weekly basis
- A Spanish language class at their level.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
Last year, we awarded more than 1,000 scholarships per term for a total of $5 million, helping more students get on planes and live their dreams in faraway places than any other organization.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Barcelona culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Summer 2019 8 weeks||Apr 1, 2019||May 21, 2019*||Jul 16, 2019*||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $5,633 **
Housing = $2,150 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $8,250
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $1,500
International Airfare = $1,300
Local Transportation = $125
Books & Supplies = $100
Personal expenses = $1,250Total Estimated Costs = $4,275
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $5 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, MSI grants, Gilman matching grants, and Pell matching grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes two meals per day for homestay students; no meals are included for students staying in the Residencia option
*Dates for this program are provided as tentative dates. Please consult with your study abroad advisor to confirm dates before purchasing your flights.
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.