Information for term Global Internship
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineMay 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: May 1, 2020
- Dates: Aug 17 – Nov 21, 2020 (14 weeks)
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
CIEE Global Internship programs are built just for you! All our locations offer a wide range of internship opportunities across a diverse set of industries. When you apply, we work directly with you to find an internship that suits your unique needs and professional goals. Internships are competitive and confirmed upon a successful interview. You will have an edge on the competition because CIEE helps you navigate the internship interview process. CIEE staff offer constructive resume revisions and provide you with the tools to succeed in your interview. Learn more about our personalized placement process.
Spend your semester taking courses then interning full-time in Santiago de Chile, one of the most modern cities in Latin America, with booming green industry and startup sectors and a large, dynamic financial district. A big urban metropolis surrounded by nature, Santiago is ideal for adventure sports and cultural activities such as exploring the markets, restaurants, museums and concert halls.
Work in one of the largest cities in the Americas
home to many international companies that choose it as their South American hub
Learn from a "smart city"
at the forefront of the most innovative, developed renewable energy initiatives in Latin America
Live in a modern metropolis
with the second largest railway in South America, Metro de Santiago, which will be the first in the world to run mostly on solar energy
Ft tall Great Santiago Tower in the city’s financial district984
passengers daily on the metro de Santiago subway2M
Urban Cycling paths236Km
Location & CultureClick to Open
With more than 7 million people, Santiago is the most populated city of Chile with a rich cultural identity mixed with other Latin American cultures. Santiago is considered one of the "smartest” cities in Latin America due to its achievements in sustainable development. It is also the first place in the region to invest heavily in renewable energies and innovation.
The capital of Chile is close to international ski resorts in the Andes mountains, vineyards in Maipo valley, large parks, natural reserves and the beaches of the central coast extending to Viña del Mar, Valparaíso and Algarrobo.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Explore history and the arts of Chile with cultural activities including a city tour of city's landmarks and visits to museums.
- During weeks 7-14, see weekly lecture content come to life through co-curricular activities. Participate in guided tours of important companies to better understand the work of both entrepreneurs and big international companies from different business areas.
- Experience the beauty of the Andes mountain range with optional trekking activities in Cajón del Maipo.
- Visit green vineyards and learn why wine exportation is one of the great economic engines of the country.
- Take advantage of resume help and interviewing skills based on local business culture
- Explore the professional working world of Santiago through organizational site visits, industry networking events, and guest lectures
- Participate in workshops that will help you make the most of your internship
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
All students live with CIEE homestay families to maximize the cultural immersion experience. Although families can communicate in English, they foster communication in Spanish all the time to motivate language learning. Students have a private room and laundry services.
Homestays include two meals a day (breakfast and lunch or dinner), a room with a desk, wifi, laundry at home, and a copy of the house keys.
Like what you're seeing so far?
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
As a global intern in Santiago, you will work in a non-paying position within a wide range of opportunities across a diverse set of innovative industries. Co-curricular activities and cultural excursions in and around Santiago complement your coursework and immerse you in the history and culture of the city.
This semester length program includes 6-weeks of academic coursework and an 8-week full-time internship and course. Class environment varies depending on the course and is designed to follow U.S. academic culture and standards.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5. Students participating in the Santiago semester Global Internship program must maintain full-time student status at their home university while participating in CIEE’s program and must have matriculated full-time at their home university at least three months prior to application. Students should be prepared to obtain a signed letter from their home university confirming student matriculation details.
*Additional visa restrictions may apply and CIEE will advise students as part of the early application process.
Upon completing the two electives during the first six-week block, students participate in an academic course taught in an online learning environment alongside the 8-week, full-time internship. The course and the internship are both required components of the program.
Note: Spanish language proficiency will expand the range of available internships in Santiago.
Total credit for the program is 12-15 semester/18-22.5 quarter hours.
Total credit: 12-15 semester/18-22.5 quarter credits
- CIEE courses: 3 semester/4.5 quarter credits, 45 contact hours unless otherwise noted
- CIEE Internship: 6 semester/9 quarter credits; 30 course hours, 200-240 internship placement hours
Language of Instruction
English and Spanish
- Weeks 1-6
- 2 CIEE elective courses
- Weeks 7-14
- INSH 3826 HYBR: Academic Internship in the Global Workplace
- 1 additional CIEE elective course (optional)
- All internships are offered in English.
- Students should expect to spend 30-32 hours per week engaged in internship project work.
- Week 1-6 elective courses are chosen from any of the courses offered through the Open Campus program in Block I. Courses are listed under the “FALL 2019 BLOCK I CIEE COURSES” and “SPRING 2020 BLOCK I CIEE COURSES” sections below, respectively.
- The optional Week 7-14 elective is listed under the “FALL 2019 CIEE COURSES” and “SPRING 2020 CIEE COURSES” sections below.
- “GI” denotes courses that are offered at multiple Global Institutes.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
CoursesClick to Open
Fall 2020 CIEE CoursesClick to Open
Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing
Languages and Cultural Studies
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Pre-departure online orientation and optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, meals, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Fall 2020 14 weeks||May 1, 2020||Aug 17, 2020||Nov 21, 2020||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $8,896
Housing = $3,487 **
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $12,850
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $360
International Airfare = $1,050
Local Transportation = $450
Books & Supplies = $300
Visa Fees = $50
Personal expenses = $506Total Estimated Costs = $2,716
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** Does not include a meal plan
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
All applicants are highly encouraged to speak with their CIEE Global Internship Advisor prior to the application deadline. Connect early and often. You will learn about the program, the internship placement process, and receive coaching tips on the application process and your resume.