Study Abroad in Sharjah
College Study Abroad
Explore Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Sharjah welcomes visitors to explore Gulf culture in relative quiet and comfort. Long considered the cultural capital of the UAE, Sharjah was named the Capital of Islamic Culture in 2014 for its efforts to preserve and promote culture.
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Sharjah, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Visits to the world’s highest tower, Burj Khalifa, in Dubai
- Safaris to the desert to ride camels
- Trips to Abu Dhabi to see the largest mosque in the UAE – Sheikh Zayed Mosque
- Excursions to Masdar City (moving toward use of only solar and other renewable energies)
- Field trips to Oman, a country in stark contrast to conservative UAE
Where Students Study
American University of Sharjah (AUS) Founded in 1997, the university combines American-style education with the traditional values and modern aspirations of the UAE and the Gulf region. The University hosts about 5,500 students from 93 nations – more than 65% are from Arab nations. Faculty come from more than 45 countries. AUS business, engineering, and architecture programs have U.S. accreditation.
Internships & Volunteering
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Sharjah, students can volunteer with local NGOs