Why Perth?

Study abroad in Perth and you’ll discover the world’s sunniest capital city. Surrounded by the Indian Ocean and the Australian outback, Perth is known for its vibrant culture, breathtaking beaches, and endless sunshine. Of the 52 locations the New York Times listed for the best places to visit in 2019, Perth lands at number 43. Here are a few reasons we think Perth made the list …

PERTH IS HOME TO LOVABLE QUOKKAS

Just 12 miles off the coast of Perth sits Rottnest Island, the laid-back home to Australia’s most photographed marsupial. The quokka – reputedly one of the happiest animals in the world – is a furry, cat-sized animal that has no reservations about cozying up to strangers. Mind you, always keep a respectful distance around quokkas, and remember it’s illegal to touch or feed them.  Feel free to grab a selfie, as long as you don’t get too close. #QuokkaSelfie

PERTH IS THE “EDUCATION CITY” OF AUSTRALIA

If you study abroad in Perth, you’re receiving some of the very best education that Australia has to offer. Perth is home to several excellent universities with premiere programs in environmental studies, such as ecology and marine biology. With access to the largest fringing coral reef in the world, Perth makes for a remarkable classroom for eco-students. P.S. a “fringing reef” is one that has an entirely shallow backreef zone or none at all. 

PERTH HAS STUNNING BEACHES

Perth has a 31-mile metropolitan coastline of pale sand that meets transparent turquoise water. Perth’s many public beaches are open year-round and offer free admission! These beaches are ideal for swimming, picnicking, running, or simply sunbathing in Perth’s endless sunshine. Remember to go snorkeling, too! Perth has a treasure trove of marine life, including reef fish, western rock lobsters, octopus, and cuttlefish, just for starters. This environment is ideal for students studying conservation and marine biology in our Summer Tropical Marine Ecology program

PERTH IS AFFORDABLE + CONVENIENT

With one of the lowest costs of living in Australia, Perth is one of the more economical Australian cities to study abroad in. One U.S. dollar equals $1.40 Australian dollars, so be sure to check local prices and plan accordingly while abroad. Overall, Perth offers an efficient public transportation system, inexpensive accommodations, and the most affordable grocery prices throughout all of Australia. 

And this is only a taste of all that Perth has to offer! There is much more to discover in the world’s sunniest capital city. Study abroad in Perth to get started on your Australian adventure!

Search Perth programs!