One of the questions you might be asking yourself before travelling to the Middle East is – what will I eat? Whether you have special dietary requirements or you’re a picky eater, let me tell you that- you will not stay hungry while being in Israel!
Since the local population in Haifa and in Israel is very diverse - our local food is diverse as well! Some may say the local kitchen offers a fusion of Middle Eastern, European, Asian, African and even North and South American dishes!
While food in general is not considered to be cheap in Israel, there are many options of street food that you can buy for affordable prices: A great example is the falafel! One of the most popular street-food options here in Haifa and one of the cheapest, healthiest lunch options too!
It is very easy to find gluten free options, as well as vegetarian, Halal, Kosher and vegan.
In fact, Israel has the largest percentage of vegans per capita in the world — an estimated five percent of the population (about 400,000)! So there are vegan options in many restaurants and even some 100% vegan restaurants and cafes!
What are the costs of eating-out in Israel?
This very much depends on the type of food, the type of restaurant, its location and the time of the day.
Here are a few popular examples:
1) Breakfast/Lunch in a mid-range restaurant woudl cost between 45-75 ILS, depending on the type of meal. Dinner can be between 60 to 100 ILS per person.
2) McMeal at McDonalds: Around 50 ILS.
3) Falafel- can range from 12 to 18 ILS per meal.
4) Sandwiches- between 10 to 40 ILS, depending on the size and what's inside the sandwich!
5) Desserts are usually between 30 to 40 ILS.
6) Lunch specials (called "business lunch in Israel) may cost anywhere between 25 to 60 ILS and usually include a salad, a drink and a main course.
7) "Israeli breakfast meal" is a great option to share with a friend, as it is commonly large! It usually includes a salad, an omelette, bread and spreads and a drink/coffee. Most places offer this meal for around 50 ILS.
Whether you eat-out or cook dinner with your friends at home: good company as well as new and familiar flavors –are guaranteed!