Weekend Trip + Midterms

Rachel I.

Rachel I.

One month in, three to go!

It's officially week five of the semester, I can't believe I've been here for over a month! I honestly get sad whenever I think about the fact that I'll have to leave this amazing place in just three months. I thought this semester would go a lot slower, but it has flown by. This last weekend, I joined 5 other international exchange students for a quick weekend getaway to the South Asian island country of Sri Lanka! It was more amazing than I ever could have imagined, and it definitely makes me want to see more of the South Asian region and Indian subcontinent. Last semester at my home university, Minnesota State University, Mankato, I took a course on South Asian politics and policy; the weekend trip made me want to dive back into my notes and textbook from the class and learn even more! 

While the trip was only over the weekend (Thursday-Saturday), it felt as though it lasted at least 5 days; which is always a sign of a good trip. On Friday, we rode tuk-tuks into downtown Colombo and explored Beira Lake as well as Seema Malaka, a floating Buddhist temple. After the temple visit, we rode tuk-tuks deeper into Colombo to visit the Jami-Ul-Alfar Mosque, also known as the Red Mosque. Following these spiritual visits, we did some shopping at the markets nearby the Mosque. On Saturday, we enjoyed our rental house's prime location on the beach of the Indian Ocean - I love visiting the ocean but I had never seen the Indian Ocean before, it had the warmest water I've ever felt in an ocean and it was incredibly beautiful.

Now, back to reality. This week I have two midterms and a quiz. Next week, I have one more midterm and another quiz. October is known as the "make or break" month here as it really shows how tough and time-consuming the courses here at the American University of Sharjah are. I know I'm up for the challenge... I just have to get some more studying done.

I'll leave it here, for now. Talk to you later.