Trip to Bratislava and Vienna

Šárka Smrčková

Šárka Smrčková

At the end of March, Global Architecture and Design students went for a trip outside of the Czech Republic.

First stop was Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, where students attended workshop and had opportunity to learn how to operate a robotic arm and how they could use it as architects. They were also joined by famous French architect/artist Francois Roche, who happened to be in Bratislava that week, and gave a short presentation of his robotic work.

After the workshop students continued to Vienna where they admired architecture beauties of the Austrian capital. Students´ favorite was visit of the Hundertwasserhouse, an apartment house built after the idea and concept of Austrian architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser and Joseph Krawina, and the new library and learning center of the University of Economics by famous architect Zaha Hadid.

One of the former GAD students made a time for our group and gave students a tour around the „Angewandte“, the University of Applied Arts. Students could see what they were working on and speak with few local students about their studies and projects.

Before the departure back to Prague on Sunday afternoon, students visited Schloss Schonbrunn and spent their morning by strolling through the palace and gardens, learning about the Austrian history, Empress Sisi and other members of the Austrian aristocracy.