Three Questions for American Students About Living in Prague

Šárka Smrčková

Šárka Smrčková

What was the hardest thing you had to deal with at the beginning of your stay in Prague?

Amber: “The hardest thing to deal with at the beginning of my stay in Prague was getting comfortable. It was hard at first to find places to go and things to do because there were a lot of new things to think about (new language, a new form of transportation, not sure if payment by cash or card, and hard to talk to locals).”

Taylor: “The hardest thing, in the beginning, was getting used to living in a city. Thankfully, my flat buddy and Czech professor were beyond helpful at helping me learn the ins and outs of it all.“

Caleb: “The hardest part was leaving behind family and friends and being in a completely different environment where nobody knew each other. This was a totally new experience for me, as I have always lived in relatively the same location back in America.”

What is your favourite memory of Prague? And why?

Amber: “One of my favourite memories of Prague (because I can't choose one) is seeing the view of the city at night. Because it's absolutely gorgeous, it's relaxed compared to the congestion that may occur from tourists and is peaceful.”

Taylor: “My favourite memory was walking through Prague with my friend on one of the first days of spring. We spent the day going to parks, the Easter market, and the Vltava. Finally seeing Prague in the spring was an indescribable experience!”

Caleb: “My favourite memory of Prague was proposing to my fiancée at Vysehrad at two in the morning. We were the only ones there and could look out off of the cliff and see the hundreds of lights dotting Petrin Hill. It was like mankind had pulled down the stars and stored them along the hills. It was peaceful and surreal and something I will never forget for the rest of my life.“

What do you enjoy doing in Prague the most?

Amber: “What I enjoy doing the most in Prague is walking around the Old town in the evening because the city looks and feels very different at night and it's amazing being able to walk everywhere and see amazing things back to back (old town square, national theatre,  Charles bridge, etc).”

Taylor: “Going to pivovars and beer gardens with my friends is definitely at the top of the list. There are a lot of hidden gems to discover in Prague, and to spend the afternoon outside with a Czech beer and close friends is always something to look forward to!”

Caleb: “Prague has very cheap alcohol and a relaxed social atmosphere,  so I can get a bottle of wine and relax by the river without any worry. In Prague, you can do any and all of these things without worry and only calm relaxation.“