Study Abroad: Rio de Janeiro or Santiago de Chile?

Head south of the equator and study abroad in the Coastal Jewels of South America – Rio de Janeiro and Santiago de Chile! They’re one-of-a-kind, must-visit cities. Here’s why…

Rio de Janeiro

Its rich history, stunning natural beauty, and vibrant culture makes it the most visited city in the southern hemisphere. Not to mention its:

• Renowned beaches: You won’t find beaches like these anywhere else in the world. Seriously, Ipanema Beach, Copacabana Beach, and Praia do Recreio are world-famous! With their white sand, swaying coconut palm trees, and Sugarloaf Mountain in the backdrop, you’ll never want to leave these iconic and beautiful beaches. So, grab your sunscreen, beach chair, and towel and enjoy the gorgeous views.

• Lively samba: No music defines Rio de Janeiro better than samba. Did you know "samba" is derived from the Kimbundu (Angolan) term semba, which means an "invitation to dance?” It’s no wonder why everyone gets an unshakable jive in their step when they hear it playing throughout the streets of Rio. You can also watch captivating dancers at a samba school, Carnival, and Pedra do Sal on a Monday!

• Full of fútbol: Fútbol is more than a sport, it’s a national pastime in Brazil. You’ll see people of all ages kicking a ball or shooting a goal at parks, beaches, or on the streets. Join a local team and practice your skills, or cheer on a local club, including Botafogo, Flamengo, Fluminense FC, and São Paulo FC. The energy and passion at the games are like no other. And when the World Cup comes around every four years, the entire country rallies together for the trophy. 

Santiago de Chile

Between the towering Andes and the Pacific Ocean, it’s one of the safest and most modern cities in Latin America. It’s also home to:

• Beautiful mountains: With the snow-capped Andes Mountains on the East and the Chilean Coastal Range on the West, you’ll be surrounded by a spectacular backdrop every minute you’re in Santiago. Head to Valle Nevado, La Parva, or El Colorado in the Andes to ski and snowboard, or go trail riding, biking, rafting, hiking, and camping in the foothills of the Andes. No matter what, the stunning scenery in the world’s longest continental mountain range is something to see. Chile is also the only place in the world where you can ski the Andes and relax on its amazing beaches in the same day!

• World-class cuisine: Chileans love to eat – so much that they might have four meals a day! And since Chile is one of the most regionally diverse countries in South America, you’re going to find an array of delicious foods. Of course, all the seafood is legendary, but other renowned meals are pastel de choclo (corn pie with meat and vegetables), completos (hot dog topped with avocado, tomatoes, and mayonnaise), empanadas, barbecued meats, and cazuela (stew with meat, rice, and potatoes). Don’t get too full though, leave room for mouth-watering Chilean desserts.

• Out-of-this-world stargazing: Chile’s unique combination of clear skies, low precipitation and pollution, and high-altitudes make for a real window to the universe. It’s hard to find a better place in the world to observe planets, constellations, and countless stars illuminate in the night sky. For the best views, take a trip to San Pedro de Atacama, Valle de Elqui, and Atacama Desert.

Still can’t decide where to study abroad? It's okay! Did you know you can combine these two amazing cities for one unforgettable semester on our Open Campus Block program?

Design your own program today!