Negotiating For A Better Education

Seth K.

Hello, my name is Seth Kraman, and I have been studying in Moscow, Russia the past few months. In that time I have learned many things about a historic U.S. rival in world politics, got (somewhat) better at speaking Russian, and studied at one of Moscow's most prestigious schools. Being on the other side of the world, most courses were taught in very different ways compared to the American equivalents. However, one course stood out to me, which I think should be a model for education. The course was Negotiations, taught by Anton Marushev, where we learned about when, where, why, and how to negotiate. But what we learned wasn't as special as how we learned it.  For each lesson, Professor Marushev used practical exercises to teach negotiating concepts such as Prisoner's Dilemma, Tit-For-Tat, and Win-Win. Including, of course, practicing our negotiating skills in class with our peers. At the end of the lesson, he explained the concepts in more detail and why we made certain decisions during the exercise. This method is golden for learning new subjects because students learn through their experiences in class, and I wish this way of teaching would be used wherever possible. Unfortunately, "wherever possible" must be emphasized here, because such methods are unlikely to be efficient for anything beyond foundation level material. Regardless, my interest in negotiations has grown significantly due to this course and I look forward to using what I learned in future negotiations!