March Madness

Rawya Abu Hajleh

CIEE SPRING 2020

Hello and welcome back CIEE! It’s March and we are definitely feeling the madness. With midterms ramping up, we wish our students best of luck, and have come up with a few ways to stay stress free this midterm season.

1. Get enough sleep. It may be tempting to pull an all-nighter and make your 8 am class, but not getting enough sleep will increase your stress levels.
  2. Eat well. Although the junk-food, the shawarma and ramen are all super affordable and delicious, make sure you get at least a few healthy meals in here and there, to boost your energy and lower the threshold for stress.
  3. Exercise. When you’re stressed, moving around may be the last thing you feel like doing. But as little as 20 minutes a day of physical activity can reduce stress levels. 
  4.  Get emotional support.  Adjusting to college can be difficult, and venting your frustrations to a trusted friend can go a long way in fighting stress
  5. Breathe. When you feel stressed, deep-breathing exercises can help melt away the tension. Try this exercise: Inhale slowly through your nose, hold the breath for a few seconds, then exhale through your mouth, and repeat as needed. This helps prevent the short, shallow breaths that often accompany feelings of tension.

On a separate note, I’m sure everyone has heard, this corona pandemic is creating all kinds of anxiety everywhere. Here at AUS, administration has taken the precautionary measures of cancelling all activities, and postponing some for the time being. But don’t be too scared, CIEE, as prevention measures are as easy as washing your hands and loading up on water. Make sure to keep your dorm room clean, eat clean food, and buy yourself some Vitamin C tabs from the pharmacy. Also remember how beautiful our campus is, and how much a little sun can go a long way. So take advantage of the lovely weather while it lasts, and take a walk! 

Have a lovely week CIEE!