A Love Letter to Brazil

Laura G.

Laura G.

Looking Back on My Time in Rio de Janeiro with CIEE...

Dear Brazil, 

Nossa senhora...você é especial demais hein?? Where do I even begin... 

Let me start by saying...THANK YOU! :’) A little over a year ago, you welcomed me with open arms and embraced me with so much love. Thank you for teaching me your joyful language and letting me immerse myself in your culture. Thank you for showing me your Sunday morning markets, your flowers, your waterfalls, your beaches and your breathtaking views. 

Feirinhas livres in Rio: always a wonderful sensory experience full of different sights and colors.

Brazil, you truly know how to live life to the fullest, and it was beautiful and magical to witness that up close. Thank you for showing me your friendly and funny people, your colors, your music. Thank you for teaching me about your history, your problems, your anxieties.

Arpoador: one of the places in Rio where you will witness some of the most magical sunrises and sunsets.

Brazil, you made me tear up a few times because of how alive and grateful you made me feel! It would happen unexpectedly...after watching a sunrise at Arpoador, after seeing the sunset from the top of the Sugarloaf Mountain, and even after hearing Brazilian friends sing Coração Radiante at the top of their lungs at family churrascos. 

Thank you for introducing me to such special and wonderful people. Vanessa, Matheus, Adams and Sean from CIEE Rio became like family to all of us studying with CIEE, and they were always there to support us with anything we ever needed. Through CIEE and PUC Rio, I also met so many wonderful students from all walks of life. I met classmates that turned into some of my closest friends, with whom I still talk to regularly, even if we’re now thousands of miles apart. 

PUC Rio: The beautiful university where we got to take classes
PUC Rio: The Brazilian university where we got to take classes! PUC Rio's campus is surrounded by nature everywhere you go.

Brazil, thank you for making me laugh so much. Special shout out to Erin Miles (CIEE Rio Alum as well!) for adding humor to situations when things didn’t go quite right. There were times when my stomach would be in so much pain from all of our sudden laugh attacks. Especially during our first few weeks in Rio, when we were just starting to learn Portuguese and our attempts to communicate with Brazilians didn’t go quite as expected ahahah! (We almost got kicked out of the PUC library once...)

A wonderful opportunity to meet people from all over the world!

I will always hold all of these memories so close to my heart. Brazil, thank you for teaching me so much!

And to future CIEE students studying abroad in Rio...You’re in for one of the most incredible adventures of your whole college career! It’ll be something you’ll remember forever, I promise. :) ENJOY IT as much as you can!!

Pedra do Telégrafo: A fun, must-do hike in Rio de Janeiro!

Obrigada por tanto Brasil! Eu te levo no coração!! :)

Um abraço, 

Laura