Losing Card Games and Learning Lots!

Community Public Health

CIEE Gaborone

Emily Thibault from Clark University

We have now been in Botswana for nearly three weeks. Somethings are difficult like learning which combi to get on and when to get off, trying to find classes in obscure blocks on campus, learning how to hand wash clothes, and adjusting to “African time” which means having to be very patient. Other things are easy, like meeting friendly people, trying new foods, getting lost, finding monkeys, and finding a new appreciation for the little things.

Last weekend, we had our homestay braai, hosted by Maeve and her host family. Paper plates overflowing with meat, pap, vegetables, pasta salad, and so much more. We ate until we couldn’t eat anymore, enjoying the company of one another—our host families, dorm students, friends, and student volunteers.

Chatting with my host sister at the Braai

Gontse and Base preparing the food

Delicious food at the Homestay Braai

After dinner, we hung out until it was dark. Hayley, Paige, and I played cards with the kids while the 2017 IAAF World Championship played by the table we were huddled around. At first, we didn’t know what we were playing; the kids explained the rules as the game went on.  We quickly caught on. The game was like uno which I have played a million times with my siblings back home, but it was difficult to remember which card meant what. Jacks were reverse, 8s were wild cards, 4 was draw four, and so on. We made mistakes, and the kids didn’t hesitate to tell us what we were doing wrong. The game went on and on until everyone was out of cards. We went outside to take a break for dessert and found cake and very melted ice cream.

After dessert, Hayley and I taught the kids how to play spoons. Somehow I lost every single round, but the transition from suspense and quiet focus as we passed cards around the circle to the shrieks and laughter as everyone lunged for the plastic spoons on the table made it all worth it. I’m pretty sure the entire city of Gaborone could hear our laughter and the kids’ excitement as they grabbed their spoons. We giggled as the tv showed a wedding and a man with funny dance moves. We took breaks from playing spoons to mimic the dancing on tv or sing along to Wild thoughts ft. Rihanna.

Hanging out with my little host nephews

Laughing is my favorite thing in the whole world, and that evening was full of laughter. I am looking forward to more learning and exploring as the semester continues. I have no doubts that there will be more nights like that, whether I’m practicing my poker face with my host sister or dancing with my two-year old host nephew. Being challenged is just as important as having a good time, and so far there’s been a good balance of both.