The Journey Begins: NYC, Internship, Advice, and Life

Hemant P.

Hemant P.

"WELCOME TO NEW YORK CITY" is one of the first things I saw when I landed in New York on Sunday, June 17. My life was about to change, but I had no clue how much it would.

I had two days to settle in, learn the ropes, and figure out the complicated subway system here. I am experiencing so many different things at once: new friendships, new city, new life, new job, new, new, new...

I started my internship two days later with BONNE Media, a fashion media company "born from the desire to place focus on the people in New York City who are really influencing the cultural landscape through their work and personality. [They] place strong emphasis on sustainability, both in business practices and in product development and design, as [they] look toward the future. BONNE New York provides coverage and analysis of the events that are shaping the zeitgeist; fashion, culture, people, and lifestyles that are reflective of the spirit of New York City." Since then, I have attended a few events with fashion industry veterans, and connected with individuals who have given me advice that I will never forget.

When I went to my first event, I met a Fashion Designer, Kianga Milele, who founded K.Milele, and her girlfriend. They told me, "keep learning because people are watching you. Your passion will show and people will see it. Stay focused. And take care of yourself because fashion doesn't take care of its people, so you have to." What they said hit me to the core and in that moment, I felt deeply humbled to be surrounded by people who took me in, listened to me, and gave me advice to start my career in fashion. I felt like this was what I was meant to do.

I love being in the city that never sleeps, exploring on my own or with friends, and experiencing many different cultures that broaden my perspectives on life. This is truly a unique experience I will never forget. I came to New York to take a chance on a lifetime opportunity to intern here and figure out which direction I want to take my life. I am beyond excited that I made this decision in my life. I am blessed to be doing the work I love and accomplishing my childhood dreams. Since being here, I have learned so much about myself and look forword to seeing what else my future holds.

Until next time!

Hemant Persaud