Interning at the Museum of Music: a window into career and culture

Caroline F.

One of the highlights of my time in Moscow in fall 2019 was my internship at the Russian National Museum of Music. I worked at the museum for two days each week, splitting my time between working in the archives, translating letters from English to Russian, and helping the international relations and events departments organize concerts, seminars, and other events. Ultimately, I translated over 50 letters for the archives and 600 terms for the Musical Instrument Museums Online database. Those letters were primarily correspondence between a British composer, Alan Bush, and the Soviet editor of the journal Sovetskaya Muzika, Grigory Shneerson, in the mid-20th century. 

As part of the seminar component of the internship, I created an end-of-year video reflection, which you can view below. It discusses how the internship impacted my semester abroad as a whole, teaching me not just professional skills but also cultural ones. I hope this video is informative to you, whether you're hoping to do an internship as part of the CIEE Moscow study abroad program or simply curious about the takeaways from such an experience.

Tags: