How to spend 8 hours in Rio

You chose Rio de Janeiro as your study abroad destination and you’re anxious to see it all. But, where to begin? What should you do first? We get it - Rio has lots to offer! With its stunning landscapes, vibrant colors, and mouth-watering eateries, there are endless places to explore in this seaside city.

Before you go anywhere in Rio, you’ll want to have a light backpack ready to get you through the day. Rio can be very hot, a touch buggy, and you’ll be putting miles on your feet with all of the walking ahead of you. Pack the essentials, including:

• Sunscreen
  • Bug repellant
  • A hat
  • Sunglasses
  • A water bottle
  • A camera

Once your bag is packed, you’re ready to hit the streets! Consider filling your day by visiting these epics sites that you’ll only find in Rio:

Christ the Redeemer

It’s one of the seven modern wonders of the world. This Brazilian landmark is a magnificent, impressive statue at the top of Corcovado Mountain cannot be missed. Travel the 200+ steps to the top where you can see just how mighty this decorative rendition of Jesus Christ is. On a clear day, you’ll get to snap a few Instagram-worthy photos of the gorgeous landscapes from the top of the mountain too.

Santa Teresa

This hilltop neighborhood is home to tasteful street art and some of the best local Brazilian food around. You could spend a few hours walking around the area and basking in the charming, village-like sights of the hillside community. Be sure to grab a bite to eat! Some of the best dishes around include chicken, fries, rice, beans, and salad!

Selaron Steps

Also known as Escadaria Selarón, the Selaron Steps is a world-famous vibrantly colored mosaic staircase located in the legendary neighborhood of Lapa. You should fully expect the steps to be crowded with people walking up, down, and all around. You may also have to wait in line to get the perfect photo. But, the wait is totally worth it! Pass the time by admiring this brilliant artistic masterpiece.

Chinese View. Looking for a jaw-dropping scenic stop? Take a hike to Chinese View. Locally known as Vista Chinesa, this scenic outlook is a pitstop worth making. A short path from a nearby parking lot leads you to an oriental-style bamboo pavilion that overlooks the city below. From this viewpoint you will have a premier sight of Sugarloaf Mountain, xCorcovado Mountain, and Christ the Redeemer at a distance.

Sugarloaf Mountain 

When you think of Rio, its mountainous landscape likely comes to mind. This is exactly why Sugarloaf Mountain is a must visit. Take the cable car ride to the top of the mountain where you can take in a completely different perspective of Rio. At the top, you can enjoy a refreshing water and baked goods, like Pão de queijo (baked cheese bread).

These must-see attractions in Rio are bound to keep you busy during your study abroad adventure. Be sure to wear comfy shoes!