GREETINGS FROM FERRARA!

Patrizia Turchi

The Spring semester just ended and we would like to share some memories of the last couple of months.

TRIP TO SICILY
At the end of February the group went on an amazing 4 day excursion to Sicily, The trip touched the major archaelogical sites and cities, and offered everyone the opportunity to have an amazing enriching experience. Palermo, Catania, the Temple Valley, Piazza Armerina, Siracusa, Taormina just to name a few of the places our students got to visit. below a group picture taken at the Valle dei Templi in the province of Agrigento.

A RENAISSANCE TRADITION: VISITING BORGO SAN GIORGIO
In the spirit of cultural exchange one of the eight contradas of the city invited CIEE students to visit their headquarters. The Palio of Ferrara is the oldest in Italy, the tournament usually takes place the last Sunday of May, but the weeks, or even months that leads to it are full of fervent preparation and anticipation.Our students were introduced to the history of Contrada San Giorgio, and were shown all the prizes won thorough the years, and got to mix with the young people who play the drums (tamburini) and throw flags (sbandieratori). We even got a private show of acrobatic flag throwing accompanied by the suggestive rhythm of the drums.

A VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
This semester some students offered to volunteer for a local organization called Cittadini nel Mondo..This organization is a new addition to our pool of volunteering groups,  offering various kind of support to immigrant families. Every Tuesday afternoon, Rachel, Courtney and Shinyoung taught English to kids as part of an after school project, and also had fun playing soccer!

GOODBYES AND CALCETTO
Before our final dinner, and to celebrate the end of a good semester, we organized a calcetto (5-a-side) match. The majority of students engaged in a one hour match together with the CIEE staff, that was a lot of fun, and that ended 7 - 1 for the Riccardo's team.

We wish everyone a good summer and we cannot wait to start a new semester!