Escadaria Selarón

Jenika S.

Jenika S.

Escadaria Selarón is commonly known as or is referred to as the "Selaron Steps". I, however, just say the Brazilian Steps because my tongue gets tied trying to pronounce Se-la-ron (with accent). It should be noted that these steps are one of the most famous tourist attractions in Rio de Janeiro. 

The artwork of the stairs was a tribute to Brazilians, that was done by Jorge Selarón who ironically was of Chilean nationality. He had traveled the world and worked as a sculptor and painter in more than 50 countries before he decided to live in Rio de Janeiro. 

Selaron was poor and earned a living from the paintings that he sold. He then started to repair the dilapidated steps that surrounded his home in lapa. 

What I found most interesting is the "Noah effect" he had on his community. I say Noah effect because everyone in his community mocked him because of the vibrant colors that he used and even the paintings that he drew.  However, what started as a pet project became an obsession and now one of the most beautiful must-see historical places in Brazil.
I found the view very beautiful and breath-taking especially the more you ascend, the more you see the layout of Brazil from a different point of view. 

On my way to the steps, there were murals along the sidewalks, on buildings and walls that were very beautiful and inspirational. Every time I see them, I fall in love with them over and over again. Here are a few:

I had so much fun being here!!! When you get an opportunity to be in RIO this is a must place to see!!!!