EAT, DRINK, EXPLORE: WOLLONGONG

EAT

Aussies love their sausage sizzles and you will too! A sausage sizzle is a community event that originated in the 1980s as a way to bring Aussies together. Sometimes sausage sizzles are free and other times they’re used to raise money for local organizations such as schools, sports teams, or bush fire brigades. The term “sausage sizzle” refers both to the event itself and the technique of barbecuing beef or pork snags (sausages) on a gas hot plate. Aussies then put the snags on a slice of white bread, flavor them with a variety of condiments like ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, or tomato sauce, and add a pile of fried onions on top.

DRINK

Guava is cultivated in many tropical and sub-tropical regions around the world, including parts of Australia. This fragrant fruit grows seasonally in Australia from March to May and is ready to be picked when the pear-shaped fruit weighs up to 14 ounces. Aussies not only eat guava – they drink it too! The family-owned Australian beverage company, Bundaberg Brewed Drinks, mixes guava juice and guava puree with carbonated water and Australian grown cane sugar to perfectly brew their popular guava soda. This sparkling fruit drink offers more than a refreshing sub-tropical taste – guava is loaded with health benefits like its ability to prevent the growth of cancerous cells, promote weight loss, regulate thyroid metabolism, and reduce cholesterol. Add guava to your diet while you’re Down Under!

EXPLORE

Escape the hustle and bustle of city life in Wollongong with a trip to Illawarra Escarpment, a coastal mountain range in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Conveniently located 11 minutes from downtown Wollongong, Illawarra Escarpment is a 30 million-year-old formation featuring sandstone cliffs, sub-tropical rainforests, and stunning birdlife. This conservation area is protected and managed by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service and their well-maintained hiking trails and scenic picnic spots make this the perfect location for a casual jog or recreational birdwatching. If you visit during Australia’s winter, head to one of the park’s lookouts and see if you can spot whales breaching!

Search programs in Wollongong!