EAT, DRINK, EXPLORE: HAIFA

EAT

I’ll be honest. I don’t like chefs messing with my eggs. I grew up eating sunny side ups with buttered white toast, and to this day, it’s my go-to breakfast no matter where I am. In Israel, their go-to breakfast is shakshuka – eggs poached in a green pepper and fresh tomato stew with onions and garlic and served in a cast-iron skillet. Riffs on the dish include adding fresh herbs, ground meat, and/or cheese. Regardless of where you land with your shakshuka, a warm pita makes the perfect Zamboni for wiping your skillet clean.

DRINK

Fresh mint is one of the most popular spices in Israel and you’re just as likely to find it minced over your dinner as you are garnishing your beverage. When the summer heat sends the temperature skyward, you’ll be honoring that refreshing spice in a glass of limonada. The word limonada comes from combining “lemon” and “mint” in Hebrew, as does the beverage. Mint leaves are finely chopped and swirled into ice-cold, fresh-squeezed lemonade that results in a sweet, cooling, tart, and delicious beverage.

EXPLORE

In the bible, it took the Prophet Elijah 40 days and 40 nights to reach the cave on Mount Horeb where he is said to have received a message directly from God. Today you can get there in just a few minutes via a path from Stella Maris Carmelite Monastery. The cave is encapsulated in a domed chapel and revered by Jews, Christians, Muslims, and Druze alike and each year receives hundreds of visitors on a pilgrimage to honor the Prophet.

Search programs in Haifa!