Eat, Drink, Explore: Budapest

EAT

You know a recipe is great when it survives for more than 11 centuries! Meet Hungarian gulyás (or goulash as we know it). The name gulyás translates to “herdsman” and reflects the meal that sustained shepherds during their journey across Europe. Big chunks of beef are slow-cooked with onions, tomatoes, peppers, and of course, Hungarian paprika until they’re melt-in-your-mouth tender. Tradition requires gulyás cooked in a cast iron cauldron over an open fire and served with a generous hunk of fresh-baked white bread.

DRINK

Eastern Europe doesn’t have the wine notoriety shared by France and Italy. But Hungary does make a name for itself when it comes to Tokaji. Tokaji is made from six grape varieties fermented into a sweet dessert wine that has for centuries, claimed the praise of kings, queens, writers, and composers like Beethoven, Liszt, Haydn, and others. Even Napoleon III had barrels of Tokaji delivered to his French court each year. When in Budapest, if the mood strikes, raise a glass of this delicious beverage and toast, egészségedre, to your health!

EXPLORE

Budapest is split into two parts by the Danube River – Pest to the east, Buda to the west. Combined the two make an incredible metropolis filled with world renowned museums, theaters, libraries, galleries, and more. But unique to Budapest are its thermal baths. There are more than 100 springs in Budapest, providing over 18 million gallons of thermal water a day. Since Roman times, visitors have been using the mineral rich water to ease their aches and socialize with friends. Take your swimsuit, sandals, and friends for a warm, relaxing dip and experience the bathhouse scene in Budapest firsthand.

Search programs in Budapest!