COMMUNICATION, NEW MEDIA + JOURNALISM NEWSLETTER / FALL 17 / MIDSEMESTER

Oscar Ceballos

Dear friends,

As our Fall 2017 semester advances, all students of the Communication, New Media and Journalism program are fully involved in their academic projects and their social life in Seville. A visit to our Facebook page or to our Flickr page will offer you a glimpse into our activities in and out of town. The busiest part of the semester is around the corner, which means that students will start working very shortly in their final media projects ­–photo, video and magazine–, reaching into our community for stories, images and sounds.

This semester, we have an enrolment of 9 students in our core course Magazine Reporting and Writing and 16 in Digital Video Reporting in Context, which have been divided into two groups. It is important that work in these courses is done in close proximity to the students, guiding their different independent projects in and out of class. As usual, these courses meet at the Centro de Iniciativas Culturales de la Universidad de Sevilla (CICUS), one of the most important cultural hubs of the city. Students of the course Urban Photography Workshop: the City from Within will have their final projects exhibited here.

Some of our students are making the most out of their semester abroad by either volunteering, teaching English or participating in activities that allow them to connect with their host community at different levels. Thus, Selina Guevara (Elon University) and Christa Huddleston (University of Oregon) are working at the media organization and NGO Historias de Luz, giving voice to those who are not usually heard. Megan Anderson (Santa Clara University) is volunteering at a secondhand store that sells baby equipment, toys and books.

Many of the program’s students have participated in organized hikes, graffiti tours, daytrips and excursions to nearby towns, cultural outings, sports or just enjoying themselves and immersing culturally and socially.

On the academic front, our students are participating in multiple activities, both in and out of class:

• Accompanied by professor Rubén Díaz, students of the course Digital and Visual Culture in Contemporary Spain visited the exhibition of prominent Spanish media artist Antoni Muntadas titled About Academia, on view at the Center for Cultural Initiatives of the University of Seville, CICUS. The exhibition debates the complex relationship between the university as a center of knowledge production and the economic power that underlies its operations. 
  • Students of the course Magazine Reporting and Writing hosted and interviewed Sahrawi students from the University of Seville, Allach Salami, Hafed Brahim and Minettu Mohamed. The students completed their midterm assignment based on these interviews with a focus on the struggle of the Sahrawi people to gain their independence and to leave their exile in the refugee camps of Tindouf, Algeria.
  • Accompanied by professor Carlos Pineda, students of the course Digital Video Reporting in Context went to a movie theatre for a screening of the documentary “¡Lumiere! Comienza la Aventura”, which includes restored and commented versions of all existing movies of the brothers with which the history of cinema begins.

In addition to these academic activities, the weekend of November 3-5 CNMJ students went on an academic trip to Morocco being wonderfully hosted by the families of Moroccan students in the beautiful town of Chefchaouen, in the heart of the Rif Mountains. On Friday morning, with wonderful weather, we embarked on a beautiful ferry crossing of the Strait of Gibraltar that took us to Tangier, a most fascinating city that is constantly growing and that enjoyed an international status from 1923 until 1956 (the year of Morocco’s independence). We then spent two days in the town of Chefchaouen, in the Riff mountains, where CNMJ students were hosted by the families of local students. Finally, during our last day in Morocco, we visited the historic medina of Tetouan before crossing the Strait of Gibraltar again.

More news soon…

Best reards,

Óscar Ceballos