Adventures in Shinjuku

Arts +Sciences

Aleya G.

Shinjuku, like other places in Tokyo, is a place where you can spend an afternoon at. Depending on how much walking you want to do about 20-30 minutes away from Shinjuku station is the Tokyo Meteropolitan building which gives you a nice look out over Tokyo and it's free.

Photo for blog post Adventures in Shinjuku

Everywhere you walk there is tons a food options at your disposal. I went Sushi-Zanmai Higashi which has pretty cheap sushi, and is the first sushi place I have been to. At the restaurant when you order one you get one roll so you can mix and match. For me, the order came out to be around $6 not including tax, and the lowest priced sushi you can get is 95 yen.

Also, in Shinjuku is the famous Meiji Shrine and right next to it Yoyogi park. Meiji Shrine is probably 20 minutes away from the station, but from the Metropolitian building it is about 30 minuets. When I went to the shrine was a traditional wedding ceremony occuring so you may luck out and see events there.

Both of the sites sites I advise to see because they are free to get in to. However, there are many places to explore in Shinjuku which you can span out over a few days. In between each destination my friend and I walked around Shinjuku and there were interesting things like gorgeous alley ways that look like they came straight out of a movie, outdoor food vendors, and eels swimming in fish tanks. There are still many places in Shinjuku I want to explore, but I hope this provides a bit of an insight as to what Shinjuku holds.