24 hours in Shanghai: A Global Intern's Guide to China

Global Internships

Global Internships

When you are a Global Intern in Shanghai, the possibilities are endless. With brightly colored art in the historic city center, ancient architecture, and tea and steamed buns for days, there is so much to see - and eat in this Chinese city. We have put together an itinerary for 24 hours in Shanghai, as well as some other not-to-miss attractions around the city and surrounding areas. We are curious what your favorites will be from Shanghai! Now it's time to get out there and explore...

10:00 AM 

After you have some tea to wake up, put on your walking shoes and head out for Shanghai's Old City Center. Here, you are sure to find delicious Chinese food, plentiful gifts & presents, and get to experience the traditional urban core of China. Bring your camera - this is one of the most picturesque places in the city, displaying so much of China's history and culture. Spend a couple hours talking to the locals, learning why so many tourists flock here, and the ins and outs of the markets. 

12:00 PM

While we are being tourists today, head over to People's Square to see a taste of Shanghai from a pre-colonization era. This nucleus of culture and activity draws millions of visitors each year to admire the beauty of Shanghai. You are sure to find many museums including one of our favorites, The Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Center. Head in to this six-story building to catch a detailed look at the evolution of one of the world’s most dynamic cities. Plus - it may help you visualize this crazy and beautiful city from a macro-level. 

Pro tip: The exhibit is closed on Mondays - don't play hookey for this one, make it a weekend trip! 

2:00 PM

Ready for some traditional Chinese food to refuel? The Chinese take their food very seriously when it comes to quality and taste, as well as tradition. Shanghai is home to the best buns in the world - pork buns, vegetable buns, steamed soup dumplings - try them all! There are a lot of local restaurants and street food vendors in People's Square to get yourself some Bao

5:00 PM

Home to more than 24 million people, Shanghai can start to feel crowded after a day of exploring some tourist-y areas. Head a bit closer to the waterfront to experience The Bund, a collection of some of the most historic and interesting buildings in Shanghai. You can get there via a walk or by hopping one of China's fastest trains - there is also Nanjing Road East which is one of the world's largest pedestrian walkways from People's Square to The Bund. Download some directions here - and don't forget to save them to your phone so you can navigate the city like a pro! 

Below, find a guide for walking through the waterfront park: 

8:00 PM

As the sun sets, it's importnat to remember the nighttime views that Shanghai boasts with brightly colored buildings, some of the tallest towers in the world, and endless dinner and entertainment options. Grab yourself some drinks and soak in the views  from Pudong, another one of China's most populated areas.  A must see is the Shanghai Tower  - China's tallest building. Head on up to the 118th floor to catch views from the world's highest observation deck. 

Shanghai has so much to offer a Global Intern - luckily you will be there for more than one day. Some of China's most significant history is in Shanghai from buildings that are still around from the Colonial era to the bustling markets and street vendors where you can try your bartering skills - and always leave with fresh bao in your belly. Looking for more suggestions in Shanghai? We trust The Lonely Planet's Guide to Shanghai!

CIEE offers a range of full-time and part-time internship abroad opportunities for students. With internships spanning a diversity of fields — from public policy to the arts, business administration to marketing — CIEE has you covered. You’ll develop the skills you need to succeed in the next steps of your career.

For more than 30 years, we've been placing students into high-impact internships across a wide range of industries and fields. We know that global work experience paired with a strong academic framework will turn today's students into the next generation of forwardthinking innovators, teachers, and leaders.