24 Hours in New York City: A Global Intern's Guide to New York

Global Internships

Global Internships

When you are a Global Intern in New York City, the possibilities are endless.  From busy and fast streets, bright yellow taxis, people galore, to pizza - at any time of the day, there is so much to see - and eat. We have put together an itinerary for 24 hours in New York City, as well as some other not-to-miss attractions around the city and surrounding areas. We are curious what your favorites will be from New York City! Now it's time to get out there and explore...

6:00 AM 

Okay okay, we know it's early, but New Yorkers never sleep! In fact, head on over to Times Square and catch performers, food, and tourists alike at anytime of the day. Going in the morning will allow you to see the sun rising over the buildings, beat the rush hour traffic, and enjoy some "quiet" in the city that never sleeps. 

Pro tip: Take a self-guided walking tour through this part of the city - cabs, carriages, and any form of transportation will be marked up for tourists - and you are a global citizen, not a tourist. But, feel free to use the New York City subway system - see if you can figure out the numbers, colors and letters to get to your final destination. 

11:00 AM

A favorite National Park for New Yorkers and visitors alike, The Statue of Liberty on Ellis Island is home to some of the United State's most significant history.  Explore the local markets and bazaars - ride a local taxi, a TukTuk Rickshaw in between them for easy access. Some of our favorite markets and bazaars can be found all around the city - which one will be your favorite? 

Pro tip: reserve your ferry ticket and tour to Ellis Island to be assured inside access to Lady Liberty. You can buy tickets here.  

4:00 PM

You've walked all over the city - and then some. You have earned yourself a treat of the locals - pizza. Anywhere, any place, anytime.  New Yorker's take their pizza seriously. In fact there are social media influencers, media critics, and more dedicated to just going around New York City...and eating. Check out @hungrygrls on Instagram for food pictures that will make your mouth water. 

7:00 PM

Is this the best day ever or what? Well, it's about to be. Head over to the theatre distritc to end your night on a high - and musical - note by seeing a Broadway Show. If you are feeling less like a night owl, be sure to catch a matinee while you are in the city for work one day! 

New York City has so much to offer a Global Intern - luckily you will be there for more than one day. Some of The US's richest history finds it's home in New York City, from all the bright colors, to the winding roads through small villages and big cities alike. Looking for more suggestions in New York City? We trust The Lonely Planet's Guide to New York City!

CIEE offers a range of full-time and part-time internship abroad opportunities for students. With internships spanning a diversity of fields — from public policy to the arts, business administration to marketing — CIEE has you covered. You’ll develop the skills you need to succeed in the next steps of your career.

For more than 30 years, we've been placing students into high-impact internships across a wide range of industries and fields. We know that global work experience paired with a strong academic framework will turn today's students into the next generation of forwardthinking innovators, teachers, and leaders.