24 hours in Cape Town: A Global Intern's Guide to South Africa

Global Internships

Global Internships

When you are a Global Intern in Cape Town, the possibilities are endless. From bright colors, 11 national languages,, and fresh seafood galore, there is so much to see - and eat. We have put together an itinerary for 24 hours in Cape Town, as well as some other not-to-miss attractions around the city and surrounding areas. We are curious what your favorites will be from Cape Town! Now it's time to get out there and explore...

9:00 AM 

Witness history in front of your eyes as you cross over the harbor to Robben Island. This infmaous prison held former South African President, Nelson Mandela during the Aparteid era. See his cell, hear from a former prisoner, and learn about what the people of South Africa have gone through to get to their present day. 

Pro tip: Book a tour ahead of time so you can assure you get the full experience. 

1:00 PM

As you board the ferry again on Robben Island, catch a glimpse of the beautiful Victoria & Alfred Waterfront. Home to shops, restaurants, the Two Oceans Aquarium, and more, you can spend countless hours wandering around. Tasting fresh mussels is a must! 

5:00 PM

Pack yourself some Savannah Dry Ciders and a plate of fresh cheese and meat and head over to enjoy Sundowners at Table Mountain or Lion's Head. See some of the most spectacular sunsets in the world and watch as the African sky appears. You can navigate yourself there via a city tour bus, or a private taxi. You can find directions here - and don't forget to save them to your phone when you are using WiFi so you can navigate like a pro.

8:00 PM

From the sunshine to the mountain climbing, we're sure you are ready to settle in with your friends for a meal. Try putting together a traditional South African Braai. Cooking your own food over open flame, while enjoying conversation about the day is a South African favorite, similar to the way Americans have a Barbecue. Grab your favorite meats, vegetables and more!

Cape Town has so much to offer a Global Intern - luckily you will be there for more than one day. Some of the South Africa's most significant history is in Cape Town from Long Street to the bustling markets where you can try your bartering skills. Looking for more suggestions in Cape Town? We trust The Lonely Planet's Guide to Cape Town!

CIEE offers a range of full-time and part-time internship abroad opportunities for students. With internships spanning a diversity of fields — from public policy to the arts, business administration to marketing — CIEE has you covered. You’ll develop the skills you need to succeed in the next steps of your career.

For more than 30 years, we've been placing students into high-impact internships across a wide range of industries and fields. We know that global work experience paired with a strong academic framework will turn today's students into the next generation of forwardthinking innovators, teachers, and leaders.