You’ve Studied Abroad with Us – Now Join Us Behind the Scenes
Every year, we accept a special group of students for paid, nine-week internships at our Portland, Maine, headquarters working on strategic projects that reflect our global workplace and our international nonprofit mission. And, if you’ve completed a CIEE college study abroad program, you’re eligible.
- Rising seniors (graduating in Fall 2017 or after) at a U.S. college or university from any major. Rising juniors with previous work experience will also be considered.
- Alumni of undergraduate CIEE Study Abroad programs
- Demonstrated capacity for developing and understanding strategy.
- Deep interest in creating and analyzing programs or processes
- Able to collaborate, lead, work independently and communicate effectively
To apply, all you need is your current resume! You may also submit a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the Alumni Summer Internship Program, as well as any other documents you think would support your application. Tip: All of your documents must be combined and uploaded as one electronic file.
Applications for the 2017 internship will be accepted between December 1, 2016 and March 1, 2017. Candidates must be available and present in Portland for the entire duration of the internship program, which will run from June 5, 2017 - August 4, 2017.
For questions about our internship program, please email us at email@example.com.
Extraordinary Projects + Personal Development
Forget making copies and fetching coffee. Our comprehensive summer program includes the following elements to create a rewarding and highly-valuable summer experience:
- Challenging strategic projects. Learn about a particular business unit as you tackle a project that builds professional skills and makes a meaningful contribution to CIEE’s family of programs.
- Mentoring. Join a specific business unit and become part of the team for the summer, with guidance from your mentor who is typically a manager in that business.
- Weekly personal leadership seminars. Together, we’ll examine what you’re learning this summer and help you leverage your skills to reach your long-term career goals via the “Personal Leadership and Identity in the Global Workplace.”
- Fun outings. You’ll also have time to explore your surroundings and take advantage of all Maine has to offer in the summer. This includes group activities for CIEE interns, like a white water rafting trip on the Allagash River, and mixers with interns who are working at other Maine-based organizations.
- Housing. CIEE provides a shared dormitory housing option at an ocean-side college campus a few miles from downtown Portland, where CIEE is based.
Examples of Past Projects
The two Study Abroad Interns will be responsible for spearheading and conducting research on student diversity in U.S. Study Abroad today and assisting CIEE with the development of a strategy for broader outreach and support with students and member institutions
The Research Intern will focus on Business development and research related to outbound internship programming
Global High School
The Global High School Intern will drive the review of our existing High School Abroad offering, and the research and planning to develop added value to the High School Study Abroad Program
Global High School
The Global High School Intern will research new strategies to maximize efficiencies and outreach efforts abroad for inbound high school summer programs