Alumni Share Memories of Studying in Budapest

CIEE Alumni

To mark the 25th anniversary of CIEE in Budapest, we asked alumni to share their stories and photos of their study abroad experience with us. Read about these amazing alumni and how studying abroad with CIEE in Budapest has impacted their lives.

“One of my favorite Budapest memories was climbing (not hiking—CLIMBING) the mountain in Transylvania. It was the hardest and scariest outdoor activity I have ever done to date. I won't lie, I was definitely on the verge of tears throughout the 3 and a half hour excursion. But instead of having a major breakdown, we laughed and we sang and we persevered through. It was the moment I realized how great so many people in my program were. It was tough, but exhilarating and totally worth the dirt and sweat that covered my body.”

-Emelie Kem, CIEE Budapest, Fall 2015

“If I were to describe my CIEE experience in one word, it would be humbling. I learned so much about myself, I learned so much about Hungarians, and I learned so much about people in general. It was a like a 24/7 real time classroom experience. And if I were to describe how CIEE has affected me professionally, it allowed me to appreciate the politics, the economics, and the culture of Hungary and central/eastern Europe. I’m currently writing a book about the Chinese migrants in the region and without a doubt the CIEE experience provided me with the necessary foundation for doing my research. The CIEE experience has also impacted me on a more personal level. It would be impossible for me to talk about my experience there and not mention my 4 months living with a Hungarian host family. While I was there, I lived with a three-generation family in a beautiful apartment in the 13th district by Margaret Bridge. And ever since then, I have considered myself blessed to have a Hungarian family to go home to every time I visit Budapest.”

-Amy Liu, CIEE Budapest, Fall 2000

8174_HAESF_Budapest crop

“If I had to choose one word to describe my study abroad experience in Budapest, I think it would be metamorphosis. My time in Budapest was meaningful on a number of levels. My great grandparents emigrated from Hungary so my study abroad experience was a very special opportunity to explore my roots. Travelling and living abroad in my early 20s also instilled in me an appreciation for other cultures, customs, and points of view that I never otherwise would’ve had. My experience, over 20 years ago now, would not have been nearly as meaningful without Dr. Elizabeth Simon, who was not only our professor and resident director, but also our mentor, cultural liaison, and perspective-giver. Thank you Elizabeth and thank you CIEE for an amazing experience that helped to shape my life.”

-Brian Vohrer, CIEE Budapest, Spring 1995

“If I had to describe my experience in one word it would be unforgettable. Budapest is so different from the rest of Europe, it was just a very unique experience—the history is just fascinating. What does being abroad for the semester in Budapest mean to me? Well, I have continued learning Hungarian and I actually just applied to grad school in Hungary, so clearly I want to continue to live and work in Hungary and move throughout Europe, so it just has helped me realize how much I want to study and work on international education policies.”

-Marissa Kramer, CIEE Budapest, Fall 2013

“I studied abroad with CIEE in Budapest in the spring of 1994, when the program was still relatively new. In one word, the experience was transformative. I came to Hungary expecting to better understand the political and social transition that former eastern bloc countries were undergoing, but I left with lifelong friends and a love for all things Hungarian. I was determined to return, master the language, and assist in at least some small way with Hungary's development journey. Also, I wanted regular access to langos (fried dough) with sour cream, cheese, and garlic. And also galuska (egg dumplings). And zsiros kenyeret (bread with lard) with red wine from Villany. Any American who starts craving bread with lard as an after-hike food knows that they've been fundamentally changed by living in Hungary!

Photo for blog post Alumni Share Memories of Studying in Budapest

All joking aside, I did return—in 1996 for a Fulbright fellowship, in 1997 for a graduate internship while working on my master's degree in international development, and from 1998 through 2000, when I had the great pleasure of living in Budapest while working for a local Hungarian USAID partner organization assisting in community and civil society development. I was proud that I had achieved near native fluency in Hungarian—it was such a window into the culture, history, and perspective of Hungarians. And it's such a lyrical, beautiful language.  

In the years since I left Hungary, I've continued to meet Hungarians all over the world—in the U.S., Nigeria, and even in South Sudan, where I’m currently serving as the Senior Conflict Advisor for USAID at Embassy Juba—and I always feel an instant kinship. I still sing Hungarian rock songs in the shower and love Hungarian food and wine. Hungary will always occupy a special place in my heart as a second home, and that started with Elizabeth's passion and the CIEE program—she was so committed to making study abroad a rich and positive experience, and it was. So much of what came later for me was shaped or influenced by my study abroad experience and I am grateful!

Congratulations to CIEE and to Elizabeth for 25 great years in Hungary!”

-Carrie Gruenloh, CIEE Budapest, Spring 1994